VMware Cloud Community
Blowry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Center on different subnet than ESX hosts

I've searched through the community and maybe I'm not typing in the correct keywords to find what I am looking for however...

We have a need to setup two ESX hosts at a remote site. That site will have two ESX 3.02 hosts connected to a Dell AX150i. We would like to use the Virtual Center server at our main site. We would like to create a new "Datacenter" within VC, put them both in there, manage the Virtual Machines, and of course, have the ability for vMotion.

Of course both of those hosts will have direct access to the VMFS through iSCSI, both be on the same subnet, and both have GB connectivity through a separate physical switch to each other.

I understand the technical requirements for vMotion but my question is: Is it supported / will it work having the Virtual Console (VC) on a different subnet at a different location or is it REQUIRED / RECOMMENDED that the *Virtual Center* machine be on the same subnet as both the ESX Hosts?

Thanks everyone!

Brian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I do this currently with multiple remote sites and a local VC Server.. The answer is yes it will work.. The question you have to ask yourself is what kind of connection do you have between the sites?

If this is a slow link or unreliable connection you may want to put your VC with your hosts.. If communication is lost for to long the hosts will disconnect.. I have seen this as well in my case but I have aslo seen them reconnect without interaction.

I currently run two remote datacenters with up to hosts at each datacenter with no problems from a local VC server.. I also have gigaMAN connection to them as well Smiley Happy

Help me help you by scoring points... Smiley Happy

Help me help you by scoring points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I do this currently with multiple remote sites and a local VC Server.. The answer is yes it will work.. The question you have to ask yourself is what kind of connection do you have between the sites?

If this is a slow link or unreliable connection you may want to put your VC with your hosts.. If communication is lost for to long the hosts will disconnect.. I have seen this as well in my case but I have aslo seen them reconnect without interaction.

I currently run two remote datacenters with up to hosts at each datacenter with no problems from a local VC server.. I also have gigaMAN connection to them as well Smiley Happy

Help me help you by scoring points... Smiley Happy

Help me help you by scoring points.
0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Brian, the VirtualCenter can be on any subnet you like.

It doesn't need to be with the ESX hosts, but you need to make sure they can communicate and if firewalls exist between them , certain ports will need opening.