VMware Cloud Community
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Virtual Center Client Problem

I have 2 ESX 3.5 hosts in a VI3 test environment. Each has an MS 2003 server guest and one has an XP guest with the VI client and VC running on it. All VMs are now members of an AD domain. My physical XP box also has the vi client, but is not part of the domain.

Before the XP guest was added to the domain, I could use my physical vi client to log into the xp guest and have full control over all of my vm servers, resource pools and clusters, etc. Since joining the xp guest to the domain, I can only use my physical vi client to log into the 2 hosts individually. When I try to use it to log in to the xp guest now, I get the error message "VMWare infrastructure client could not establish the initial connection with server "[guest ip]". Details: A connection failure occurred." If I log into the host and then open the vi client on that XP guest, I can log into the client but all of the VMs show up as not responding even though they all actually work. That also happens if I use remote desktop to get into the guest. Did joining the AD cause some sort of permission change? I haven't been able to find anything quite like this in the forum. Thanks.

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

When you joined the domain did you also change your IP address of the physical XP machine?

0 Kudos
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the reply. I didn't change the IP address on my physical machine. And my physical machine is not part of the domain, only the VMs are.

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.
0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Could joining the guest to the domain forced some group policy that changed the Windows firewall on the guest, which started blocking the physical server from the VIC access?

zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I wondered about that and set an exception for the VI app and added the esx host IPs to the scope. Maybe I need to add port exceptions, too?

0 Kudos
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

By the way, I don't know if this is a useful clue, but in the wayward vi client, the hosts show up as "not responding" and the VMs show up as disconnected.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Have you tried using the fqdn or IP address to connect to the VC? hostname.domain.com

zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Mainly been using the IP, but did try the name with no luck. I think you hit the nail on the head before with the AD group policy because I removed the guest xp vm with VI from the domain and I can use VI again. My biggest priority is testing vmotion and drs right now, so I'll have to investigate the policy later (policy comes from way up the chain). Will post info if I find out what was blocking. Thanks for all the responses. Not used to the points thing, so I hope I do OK by you there.

0 Kudos
Ajay_Nabh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi All

I had a similar problem and fixed it by restarting ESX server. you may wanna restart services first using this command on service console- "service mgmt-vmware restart" as this command will restart your VM's

Ajay

0 Kudos
harunsahiner
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Start "Vmware VirtualCenter Server" service our VC, and hop this problem.

Regards

Harun

http://harunsahiner.blogspot.com
0 Kudos