VMware Cloud Community
Kevin_Gerits
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vcenter Server 6 update using a specified repository

Hello Community.

I am facing the following problem and am unable to find a solution for it so i'm turning to you guys.

We were trying to update our vCenter 6 appliance from build 3343022 to build 3634791 to address some issues we are having. Our vCenter server is not able to connect to the internet to automatically retrieve its updates. so we have to resort to the offline update bundles. So here is what i have done.

step 1: configured IIS as a update repository

step 2: configured the Vcenter appliance to use a specified update repository

So far so good. The configured web server can be browsed and i see the manifest and package-pool folders. The vCenter also accepts the URL as an valid one.

Now when i try to search it for updates i keep getting the following message in my appliance and it doesn't find any updates.

Update status

I thought vCenter would accept custom repositorie URL's. The offline update bundle is downloaded directly from the Vmware download pages. We can download an ISO and mount it directly to the appliance but this way is easier imo and i'm curious to why it isn't working this way Smiley Happy.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevenbright
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Make sure that you have MIME types defined for all of the various file types that are part of the repository. In particular, mine was missing the MIME type definition for .sign files (text/html). Also if you have request filtering of file name extensions, ensure that .json, .xml, .sign, .rpm, and .zip are added to the list of accepted file extensions.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LVANDUIJN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue.. used a windows 2008 r2 IIS machine but get the signature message.. should work just fine.

0 Kudos
stevenbright
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Make sure that you have MIME types defined for all of the various file types that are part of the repository. In particular, mine was missing the MIME type definition for .sign files (text/html). Also if you have request filtering of file name extensions, ensure that .json, .xml, .sign, .rpm, and .zip are added to the list of accepted file extensions.

fkaki
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here, MIME type .sign (text/html) was missing (Server2012R2). .json, .xml, rpm, and .zip were still part of the list of accepted file extensions.

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Kevin_Gerits
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you were correct, i was indeed missing the MIME type definition for .sign files. after i added it, i was able to update from my custom repository.

Sorry for the late reply Smiley Wink

0 Kudos