VMware Cloud Community
slickshoes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using Update Manager to patch a single ESX host environment

So I have a single ESX host that I want to patch using VMware Update Manager. The problem is, since its a single ESX host I can't vmotion vCenter somewhere else to patch. The server needs to be in maintenance mode to remediate, but I can't shutdown vCenter because then I don't have Update Manager.. what do I do or what am I doing wrong? I would prefer to not use esxupdate

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

That is one of those gotcha's especially if you have only one host and your vCenter instance running as a VM.

You may have to revert to command line patching. Just shutdown your VM's put the host in maintenance mode and use the 'ol esxupdate method.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Another option is using VMware Converter and convert your vCenter server to a VMware Workstation 6.5 machine can host on windows XP workstation in this case for temporary and then you can manage VUM updates from there freely make sure vCenter can communicate. But why waste all this time just upload the patches to /var/updates folder and run esxupdate command would simply quicker. But VMware Converter is an option for you in long term.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
slickshoes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I guess I will just use esxupdate for now.

0 Kudos