VMware Cloud Community
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade to VCS 5 - No Matching Licenses Found

Trying to upgrade my 4.1 Vcenter server to 5.0.  I have upgraded my license to 5.0 at vmware licencing site.  However when I try to install Vcenter Server, when I get to the Customer Information screen and plug in the new license number I get a pop-up "No matching licenses found".

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just to rule this out as a possibl cause.

Did you double check whether you are using the correct key (vCenter Server vs. ESXi CPUs)? Also make sure you didn't miss a character/digit when you copied the key from the portal.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Proceed to upgrade the vCenter first without inserting the version 5 key and once the upgrade procedure is complete then add the vCenter Server 5.0 Key.

Nikhil

0 Kudos
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks but that didn't help.  It installed fine, now when I try to enter the license number in Vcenter Server Settings, I get an error "the license key entered is not valid for vcenter server.  Ensure the license key is for a vcenter server."

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just to rule this out as a possibl cause.

Did you double check whether you are using the correct key (vCenter Server vs. ESXi CPUs)? Also make sure you didn't miss a character/digit when you copied the key from the portal.

André

0 Kudos
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks André, I think that is the issue.  I only have the one key showing up in my.vmware.com.  I've opened a case with licensing support to get this sorted out.  Thanks for the replies.

Best,

Joe

0 Kudos
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to wrap this thread up, in case anyone else has the same problem....

I was trying to use the ESXi license # for Vcenter Server, which doesn't work.  Had to go back to my.vmware.com and run thru the license upgrade wizard again and upgrade the Server license too.  Then VCenter server took the new license # no problem.

Thanks a ton for the help.

Cheers,

Joe

0 Kudos