VMware Cloud Community
FunkyD
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from 2.0.1 on SQL 2005 Express - permissions error

I am getting the usual error about not having permissions when upgrading to 2.5 but:

My SQL user is the dbo on the database (actual dbo not just a member of the role)

My SQL user has dbo permissions on MSDB (db owner role member, SA is the actual owner)

Database is set to Bulk Logged

However, I am running SQL 2005 Express which I know isn't supported and suspect it is the culprit.

Is there a solution or will I need to either move the tables and data to SQL 2000 and then upgrade or do I need to start from scratch?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FunkyD
Contributor
Contributor

I've now upgraded as far as 2.0.2 release 5 but still can't get to 2.5 becase of the permissions error. 2.0.2 does now support SQL 2005 Express so there shouldn't be an issue Smiley Sad

Edit: This really is poor of VMware - I've double and triple checked everything and it refuses to accept that I have permissions. I've tried using the SA user and that fails as well. Who on earth wrote this software? How can an SA user NOT have access to the MSDB database or any database for that matter if you've done a standard install of SQL?

Just to clarify:

I have both the SQL 2005 and SQL client setup with ODBC

My SQL user is the db owner on the VC database and a member of the db_owner role on the MSDB database.

I have taken the queries from the log file and sure enough if I make a database connection using my VC user I can execute every single one so there are no permisssions issues.

This is driving me nuts! :smileyangry:

0 Kudos
FunkyD
Contributor
Contributor

I've put the database onto another SQL server and tried every possible combination of permissions, SQL clients, usernames, passwords, auth methods to no avail.

Why on earth doesn't the installer let you use an account with sysadmin permissions?

0 Kudos