VMware Cloud Community
srekuets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to add VMware Server V1.0.4 under VMware Infrastructure V2.0.2

Hi,

I managed to add two VMware ESX servers V3.0.1 under a VMwareInfrastructure V2.0.2 installattion.

I cannot add a VMware server V1.0.4 host however to that same configuration.

The initial checking of the nodes goes OK, it finds the virtual hosts on the VMware server, but at the last "Ready to complete" step, the node is added, but stays in disconnected status.

Shortly after that I get a "A general system error occurred, internal error".

Adding the same VMware server using the classical (not the Virtual Center Client) GUI V1.4.1 on another VMware infrastrudture server does work.

Any idea how to further troubleshoot this problem?

Kind regards,|

Erik.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

At this point you'll need to stick with VC 1.4 to manage VMware Server hosts. Managing them with VC 2.0.x is not supported at this time. This is supposed to change with the next release of VirtualCenter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

At this point you'll need to stick with VC 1.4 to manage VMware Server hosts. Managing them with VC 2.0.x is not supported at this time. This is supposed to change with the next release of VirtualCenter.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't think it's in the next version.

srekuets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I seemed a bit too enthousiastic about installing the latest version right away.

Next time I will read more manuals and certainly the compatibility matrix first.

Thnks for your answers,

Kind regards,

Eirk.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No problem. To correct my earlier post I had previously read that it would be fixed in the next version of VMware Server and not VC.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VC2.x will never be able to manage VMware Server 1.x, the next version of Virtual Center, 2.5 will be able to manage VMware Server 2.x.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

oh, when is server 2.x coming out?

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Haven't heard a date yet, it may come before or after the VC 2.5 release which is scheduled for the end of the year.

http://www.virtualization.info/2007/10/vmware-infrastructure-35-and-esx-server.html

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Was there a beta of server 2.x that I missed? I'm not quite sure about the info in that link. I've seen 3i managed by VC 2.5. 3i appears to have all the features of Enterprise and then some.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not that I have seen, there was a VMworld presentation on it though, I haven'tchecked it out yet though so I don't know much about it...

TA13 VMware Server 2.0 - The Onramp to VMware Infrastructure

ID: TA13

Session: VMware Server 2.0 - The Onramp to VMware Infrastructure

Presenter: VMware

The forthcoming VMware Server 2.0 release represents a significant change for the Server product line. With its implementation of the VMware Infrastructure API on both Linux and Windows, VMware Server 2.0 will serve as an entry-level offering for VMware Infrastructure and enable a smooth transition for users when moving up to the more advanced features of ESX Server. It will include a fully-featured Web-based user interface, permitting remote management of the server and its virtual machines without requiring client installation.

This session describes the architectural evolution of VMware Server and shows how the features of VMware Server 1.0, such as datastore and network management, translate to the corresponding VMware Infrastructure features of VMware Server 2.0. This session also provides an overview of the new capabilities of VMware Server 2.0: new platform functionality, VMware Infrastructure and VIX APIs for scripting and integration, and an enhanced version of the VMware Infrastructure Web Access user interface.

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I didn't go to that session but, I just downloaded the PDF. It syas that the VC agent will not ship with Server but, you will be able to manage it through a web interface that is going to be so good that you won't miss management with VC v1.x.

0 Kudos