VMware Cloud Community
JDoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The transaction log for database 'VIM_VCDB' is full

We are experiencing the error as stated in the subject.

The problem is that we keep extending the log file.

We have 3 esx 4.1 servers and approx 25 virtual machines running on these servers.

The statistics are at:

5 minutes - 1 day - level 1

30 minutes - 1 week - level 1

2 hours - 1 month - level 1

1 day - 1 years - level 1.

The database size check shows that it should be approx 0.5 GB with our configuration.

We already extended it 4 times since our migration of vcenter to 4.1 halfway december 2010 and it's at 4.3 GB now.

Shrinking the logfile with the unused space didn't clean anything.

Anybody experienced this and has another tip instead of extending it yet again?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't worry, with the recovery model set to "Simple", no transaction log is being written.

If you want, you can compare the settings and the size of the log with your vCenter database, as this is most likely set to "Simple" too.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I heard this before, it happens when u have SQL Server Enterprise or Oracle, it seems to the low space is about the database not about the size of your storage, i heard the solution is to uninstall sql or oracle and install it again with the bigger size for database that ask in installation.

On the other hand, sometimes using a One sql server for both vCenter and another application may cause this problem too.

If this is useful, would u please mark it "Helpful" or "Correct"?

Thank u

Saman

0 Kudos
JDoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We installed the sql express database through the vcenter 4.1 installer.

The only other database running on that sql express edition is the upgrade manager database which currently isn't downloading new patches till i have this issue fixed. (VIM_UMDB)

The only thing not database related i can imagine is that the vcenter server is currently at the low end for physical memory. This will be upgraded this weekend.

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I monitored my vCenter Server almost everyday, and i found out, it uses a lot of memory.

It causes problem when it trys to do feature that enable just with vCenter, in that moments it use all the memory set on the VM.

I hope the issue fix when u upgrade RAM.

If this is hepful or correct, would u please mark it as "Helpful" or "Correct"?

Thank u

Saman

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Maybe I'm wrong, however an SQL transaction log is created if the database recovery model is set to something else than "Simple" (e.g. Bulk of Full). The usual way to clear the transaction log is by backing it up. Since you are using SQL Express this may not applicable to you. If you don't need the transaction log, I'd recommend you install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express and set the recovery model to Simple.

André

JDoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@ a.p. the setting was indeed on bulk. I changed it to simple and shrank the file by clearing unused space.

It is now back to 1 MB. I'll set the restricted file growth back to 600 MB and monitor if it fills up fast again.

Thanks for your response as it does seem like a solution.

@idle-jam As you can see i already extended it 4 times by following guides like the one you linked.

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did u try reinstall the sql server again?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't worry, with the recovery model set to "Simple", no transaction log is being written.

If you want, you can compare the settings and the size of the log with your vCenter database, as this is most likely set to "Simple" too.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Saman wrote:

Did u try reinstall the sql server again?

If you run out of gas, it does not help to replace the engine Smiley Wink

André

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I try to use the classic solution of IT Men, you know "Did you turn it off and on again?":smileycool:

Sorry if it is not applicable.

0 Kudos
JDoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Setting it from bulk to simple was indeed the solution.

The log is behaving normally again and i didn't see that database explode in growth either over the weekend.

Thanks to the replies all.

0 Kudos