VMware Cloud Community
utilmanonline
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshots on MS SQL 2008 (MS Navision) make client connections drop

We have a vSpehere 4.1 with 5 servers.

One VM is a server 2008 with 4 cpu's and 16gb memory with SQL 2008 for running MS Navision (Dynamics)

On MS Navision there is a shell with empire

VM has not much CPU load

Every hour a vizioncore vreplicator job is running for every VM which replicates this VM to an other environment

On vCenter the snapshot is made before the replication, than the quiescing replication is running (so that the database is 100% consistent),

and after the repliction is finished the snapshot is removed again.In the proces something happens that some emire clients are

getting disconnected from the server so that they have to login again.

We do not have these problems on any other VM.

Can someone help me to get me in the right directions to solve this irritating problem we have for months now?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From experience, particularly with busy servers, a VM can tend to lose connection when committing a snapshot. I have noticed this with Exchange mailbox servers; committing a snapshot will cause a few pings to drop towards the end of the commit and cause the "disconnected from Exchange" baloon to appear in Outlook.

I'm not particularly certain if there's anything that can be done from a vCenter perspective to remedy this. Some applications are more sensitive to the commit handoff than others.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos