VMware Cloud Community
steve31783
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Script to update hosts with new VC IP

Hey All,

I'm creating a DR instance of our VC server over in Galway Ireland. Should VC fail here (I have a backup copy here as well, but should the site fail) I would fire up this copy and be able to manage our worldwide infrastructure. Unfortunately, the VC server in Galway cannot have the same IP as the VC server here. I would assume this would create issues with the host agent being able to connect to the Galway VC. Is there a script that can be run either on the host or VC to update the agents? Does anyone have any better suggestions for DR? I looked here for the script, but didn't see one..

http://communities.vmware.com/community/developer/utilities?view=documents

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
steve31783
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone have any ideas at all?

0 Kudos
GBromage
Expert
Expert

How were you looking at running the script? Would you push it out over something like Altiris, or log in to each server and run manually?

Are you looking at just VC, or do you need an answer for the license server too?

As far as I know, the VC Server details are set in /etc/vmware/vpxa.cfg - it's stored by IP address, not name. However, the "new" VC needs to know the password on the vpxa account, which is stored in the VC database.

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
steve31783
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey.. I was hoping to run something locally using the VI perl toolkit.

Here's my scenario:

Production server site A, Production DB site A

Cold VC Clone (different IP) site B, Replicated VC database, Site B

In DR, fire up cold clone, point to replicated copy of DB, point users/admins to IP of DR'd VC (or change in DNS).

I basically just need the script to register my hosts with the DR'd version of my VC server, which will have to have a different IP than the production version. I know I could just do this to each host manually, but I'd like to automate it if possible.

0 Kudos