VMware Cloud Community
pegasus20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Question about migrating the vCenter database from SQL 2005 server to a SQL 2008 server

We currently have vCenter 4.1 U2 with it's database on a Microsoft SQL 2005 server.  We need to migrate this database to a Microsoft SQL 2008 server.  I found the VMware kb article for migrating the vCenter database:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=796089...

But then there is another article referencing the migration of the vCenter database from SQL Express 2005 to SQL Server 2008 which specifies that vCenter needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102860...

Does the uninstall and reinstall of vCenter apply in my case of migrating from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008?  We are not using SQL Express 2005 and I just want to verify that hopefully in our case the migration will not require vCenter be uninstalled and reinstalled.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pegasus20111014
Contributor
Contributor

It looks liek we will also need to install the SQL Server Native Client 10 to connect to the database on SQL Server 2008.  Can this be done without requiring a re-install of vCenter if the DSN name stays the same?  I'm not certain if the new ODBC SQL driver will need to changed elsewhere, I did see it listed in the Registry settings for the vCenter database connection:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter\DB

Under this key I have the following entries:

"1" - vCenter database name

"2" - (blank)  - I believe this is for user ID and we are using integrated Windows authentification

"3" - (blank) - I believe this is for the password, but we are using integrated Windows authentificaiton

"4" - SQL Native Client

"5" - 10

What value is represented in key "5"  ("5 "- 10)?  Is "10" the version of the SQL Native Client?  Also, If we can migrate the vCenter database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 without re-installing vCenter, will any of these registry keys need to be manually edited?

Thanks

0 Kudos