VMware Cloud Community
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with vCenter (using ESXi 4 and ESX 3.5)

Hi,

On my company we have the following setup of ESX servers (totally 6 servers):

3 ESXi 4 (free version)

3 ESX 3.5 (paid version)

I tested the vCenter for 60 days and we decied to buy vCenter but now I cannot add any ESX servers!?

Is the problem that I use free versions and esx 3.5? A little bit strange that it works in version but when I buy vCenter it won't work.

The question is what to do?

Buy full versions for all the hosts?

I red something about vMotion and there I can find ESXi, i don't get how it works really, sorry for my newbie questions.

Please help me.

/R

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

VMware vSphere Standard Edition has vCenter agent in built you will need to buy this version for the 3 hosts (of course you can purchase higher version) and you will be able to connected.

Also make sure your vcenter is a standard edition and not foundation as foundation has a limit a 3 nodes.

0 Kudos
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor

we bought this vCenter: "VMware vCenter Server 4 Standard for vSphere (Includes Orchestrator and Linked Mode)"

I don't know if I understand what you mean, should I be able to add the 3 ESXi 4 to the vCenter without any problem? And buy upgrade license for the 3 ESX 3.5?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

with your vcenter stadanrd you can have more than 3 hosts. there is no problem on the vcenter side. however on the

3 ESXi 4 (free version) you will need to upgrade it to atleast vsphere standard edition as it containt vcenter agent license inorder for it to be managed by vcenter.

0 Kudos
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor

okey, is that expansive? and what does't mean? Do you have any link for price info?

But then I have the ESXi version left and upgrade "something" on that. Sorry for my newbie questions...

thnx

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos