VMware Cloud Community
Josh_Leahy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error: The name “ESX10” already exists

Hey all!

I recently removed one of my ESXi hosts out of my cluster and then removed it from my vCenter inventory.  Nothing else was changed on the host but when I try to re-add it to the vCenter inventory I receive an error message stating that it already exists.  I have verified that the host is not present in my inventory.

The VMs that are running on that ESXi host all show as orphaned. I have removed the orphaned VMs from vCenter inventory and tried re-adding the host but still receive the same message.  I have also tried rebooting both vCenter and the ESXi host but still the error persists.

I did find this posting on duplicate Database entries and feel that this related to my issue although as I mentioned before I didn't change anything on my host.

http://www.jonathanmedd.net/2011/08/add-host-to-vcenter-fails-with-the-name-hostname-already-exists....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. I am running version 4.1

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Try restart virtual center service.

Or you can delete your DataCenter and recreate a new.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you may want to look into the vCenter DB and manually remove it.  Below is a good how to for SQL

http://sosleepy.tv/2010/02/19/remove-an-vmware-esx-4-host-from-vcenter-by-directly-deleting-the-host...

0 Kudos
Josh_Leahy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have already restarted my vCenter server.  Deleting my Datacenter and recreating in my environment would be a last ditch drastic option.

0 Kudos
Josh_Leahy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link....I was looking for something that explained the process.  I'll let you know if it works.

0 Kudos
Josh_Leahy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok the SQL query shows all of my ESXi hosts except the one that I am trying to readd.  By this I mean SQL reveals the same thing as vCenter....but for some reason vCenter is still telling me that the Host already exists.

In summary vCenter is telling me the Host already exists but it doesn't showing up in my vCenter inventory and it is not showing up in SQL (at least not in the VPX_Entity table).

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

it could be a DNS thing.  Check DNS and Routing on all our your hosts and ensure there are not discrepancies. I would also check AD to ensure the records are all correct.

0 Kudos
Josh_Leahy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Everything checked out OK but still no luck.

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Josh

Have you tried

1. Adding the host on the IP address and not hostname

2. renaming the host to example ESX100, try to add it then, if successful rename trough VC.

regards

Please remember to award points for helpful or correct answers Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

I came accross the same issue once, spent couple of hours looking into the vCenter database but later found that there was a DNS issue. The short and FQDN host names of the ESX host had different IPs assigned. I know you have already checked DNS but wanted to share this anyways Smiley Happy

Regards,

Arun

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Josh_Leahy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried both suggestions but I still receive the exact same error.

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is a strange one.

The only other thing I can think of is a Mac Address

Is it bound to physical adapter or is it a virtual mac.

Try recreating the management network (vswif0)

regards

Please award points if this is helpfull or correct :smileycool:

0 Kudos