VMware Cloud Community
takesio
Contributor
Contributor

Can't configure Active Directory Authentication

I have a problem to configrue ESXi host to allow Active directory user account to access to the ESXi host by AD authentication.

I am using the ESXi 4.1. I have set up Windows 2008R2 domain controller virtual machine on this host. Also I set up few more Windows 2008R2 member servers. This Windows network seems to be working OK.

But when I try to configure Active Directory Authentication, it failed. The procedure as below.

1. Access ESXi 4.1 host by vSphere Client, log in ID, password as the host's local root account.

2. Go "Configuration" tab > "Authentication services" on left down. Then click "Property" o top right.

3. Select "Active Driectory", enter the domain name of full suffix. Enter domain administrator's ID and the password.

4. The error message "An error in active directory operation" is comming up.

I have tried to enter <domain>\ID, id@domain full suffix as the domain admin format. But it was in vain. The Windows servers are all Japanese.

If someone can help this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Takesio,

Try having a look at the following article to see how to achieve AD integration:

- http://blogs.vmware.com/esxi/2011/01/esxi-41-active-directory-integration.html

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

let's try again with the above guide and let us know the error message if you face any. good luck.

0 Kudos
takesio
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, FrancRocky, Idle-Jam.

Actually I had already seen the site before I submit this discussion. The error message is "An error on Active Directory Operation", that is pop ups whenvever I enter the domain admin ID and the password.

I find out the same discussion in the other community.

I become to think that this is cased by if the Domain Controller is only exist in the same ESXi host. My environment is one ESXi host and all child; guest machine that includes DC are in the same host.

Does someone has tried before?

0 Kudos
takesio
Contributor
Contributor

I become to think that if this caused by Domain level as Windows 2008? If domain level was Windows 2003 or Windows 2000 it have worked well?

0 Kudos
terrancewbennet
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still having this problem. My  ESX4.1 will not join the domain which is running Srv 2008 Std as a vm host. I have been trying to find a solution to this everywhere and still looking. " Errors in Active Directory" or the domain does not exist.

Has anyone been able to get the ESX server to join the domain?

0 Kudos