VMware Cloud Community
ravi4vmware
Contributor
Contributor

All Esxi 5.0 host show's disconnected on vCenter server 5.0

Hi,

I upgraded the vSphere 4.0 environment to 5.0 with a smooth transition, but after 4-5 weeks of working properly suddenly now on the vCenter server which itself is a VM running on one of the Esxi5. host show's that all the ESXi disconnected.

When I tired to ping ESXi host from vCenter server its unreachable but on the same VLAN from my desktop I can ping all ESXi host and vCenter server.

I tried to restart the management agent on Esxi host but still its same.

Kindl ylet me know how to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

welcome to the community,

What hardware are you using? Is it on the HCL for vSphere 5?

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?rct=j&q=vmware%20hcl&source=web&cd=1&ved=0C...

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ravi4vmware
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Frank,

Thanks for reply.

Yes its all compatible with vSphere HCL. we already checked before upgrade.

Host  Manugacturer: HP
Model:  ProLiant BL460c G6
Host  Memory: 24.56GB
CPU  Cores: 8CPUs x 2.533GHz
Processor  Type: Interl(R) Xenon(R) CPU E5540 @2.53GHz
License:  vSphere 4 Enterprise Plus Licensed for 2 physical CPU
Processor  Sockets: 2
Cores  per Sockets: 4
Logical  Processors: 16
Number  of NICs: 8

I feel there's something wrong with the vCenter itself that's why all the host is showing diconnected at the same time.

0 Kudos
Tsjo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have any logs related to the incident?

Can you "reattach" the vCenter to the ESXi servers?

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ravi4vmware
Contributor
Contributor

Which log's you req. I can provide you the logs for investigation. I didnt do the "reattach" ESXi host to vCenter server, will it effect any thing on production environment or it is safe to do.

0 Kudos
Tsjo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check the log directory on one of the disconnected hosts and see if you notice something odd during the time of the incident. Maybe an authentication issue? Disconnected networks?

Try on the least used host, and since it's already been managed by the vCenter I don't believe there will be any issues.

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

did you install your esxi with the hp image? Or are you using the vmware image?

Logfiles are stored here

vCenter Logfiles

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102180...

ESXi Logfiles

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=2004201

To see what network driver you are using

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1027206

Frank

0 Kudos
ravi4vmware
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

This is the log entry which i find out in viclient logs.

[viclient:Error   :P:13] 2012-08-14 15:43:33.533  RMI Error Vmomi.Datacenter.QueryConnectionInfo - 57
<Error type="Vmomi.Fault.NoHost">
  <Message>Cannot contact the specified host (192.168.0.61). The host may not be available on the network, a network configuration problem may exist, or the management services on this host may not be responding.</Message>
  <DetailedMessage>Cannot contact the specified host (192.168.0.61). The host may not be available on the network, a network configuration problem may exist, or the management services on this host may not be responding.
</DetailedMessage>
  <Name>192.168.0.61</Name>
</Error>
[        :ShowExcp:M: 6] 2012-08-14 15:43:33.633  Error: Cannot contact the specified host (192.168.0.61). The host may not be available on the network, a network configuration problem may exist, or the management services on this host may not be responding.
Vmomi.Fault.NoHost: Cannot contact the specified host (192.168.0.61). The host may not be available on the network, a network configuration problem may exist, or the management services on this host may not be responding.
   at VpxClient.Common.Util.AsyncBlocker.WaitForCompletion()
   at VpxClient.Common.Util.AsyncBlocker.QueryConnectionInfo(Datacenter dc, String hostname, Int32 port, String sslThumbprint, String username, String password)
   at VpxClient.AddHostWizard.NWz.QueryConnectionInfo()
   at VpxClient.AddHostWizard.NWzConnectionSettings.ValidateData()
[        :Critical:M: 6] 2012-08-14 15:43:59.832  Main Form was closed.
[        :Critical:M: 6] 2012-08-14 15:43:59.832  ShutdownClient
[viclient:SoapTran:M: 6] 2012-08-14 15:43:59.922  Invoke 58 Start Destroy on PropertyFilter:session[52c561a0-79c8-69bf-0d6e-e9f0dbc59ec0]522a7cda-8075-bfd5-50a6-ab3f8b539e5f [qfcra-vcmgmt]. [operationID:DE86B6DF-0000003A][Caller: VirtualInfrastructure.Updates.PollerDispatcherImpl.RemoveAssociatedFilters]
[viclient:SrvMsg  :M: 6] 2012-08-14 15:43:59.922  RMI Request Vmomi.Core.PropertyCollector+Filter.Destroy - 58
[viclient:SoapTran:P:20] 2012-08-14 15:43:59.932  Invoke 58 Finish Destroy on PropertyFilter:session[52c561a0-79c8-69bf-0d6e-e9f0dbc59ec0]522a7cda-8075-bfd5-50a6-ab3f8b539e5f [qfcra-vcmgmt] - Serial:0.000, Server:000.011

All the things was working fine, So i tdont think so something will be probelm with the network driver.

0 Kudos
Tsjo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error: Cannot contact the specified host (192.168.0.61).

It sure looks like an network problem to me.

Are you able to contact the hosts now or is this still an issue?

0 Kudos
ravi4vmware
Contributor
Contributor

Still the issue is there. I dont know how to troubleshoot, because from vCenter server I cant ping the ESXi host but other windows server in the same vLAN i can reach the ESXi hosts.

0 Kudos
Tsjo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could you double check the network settings for the vCenter VM?

Might be that it's on the wrong VLAN or the NIC hasn't been enabled.

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

are the vcenter and the esx host in the same vlan?

If not, check gateway settings in your vcenter vm.

Are you able to ping your vcenter from inside the same vlan and outside?

did you reinstall the vmtools?

I have some vm´s, when i reinstall the tools, the gateway is listed in the network setting for the network adapter. But when you put your ip settings in there and close the setting, reopend, the gatway is empty!

Frank

0 Kudos