VMware Cloud Community
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alarms not clearning

ESX 3.0.2, VI 2.0.2

Hello all,

Has anyone else experienced the alarms triggering but not clearing? Since upgrading from ESX3.0.1 and VI 2.0.1 it seems to be that when an alarm is triggered it never seems to clear it self. I have to disable the alarm and then re-enable it so that is will clear. It there a setting now that tells VI to leave the alarm after the trigger is not longer valid?

As an example, the red alarm for CPU usage I have as default, but one of my VM's shows a red alarm for CPU usage, but it currently is 41% used, past hour average is 38%.

Any thoughts as to where I should look?

-Ed

0 Kudos
23 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

This has been reported a few time, you can try editing the alarm will clear it, re-starting the VI Client/VC Server or re-starting the mgmt-vmware amd vmware-vpxa tasks on the ESX server.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/758432#758432

http://communities.vmware.com/message/663459#663459

http://communities.vmware.com/message/744913#744913

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. I think I may have even posted this before. I wonder if its a bug in the software that may get resolved some day soon. I dont want to have to manually clear the alarm for ever.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Judging from the number of users that are having the problem and typically after upgrading to a new version of VC I would suspect a bug that will hopefully be resolved in the next release of VC.

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

cryptonym
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just experienced this same problem on VC 2.5 after the upgrade from 2.0.2.

0 Kudos
mike008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ditto. Alarms aren't clearing on my VC 2.5 server. Workaround is to disable and reenable the problem alarm. Anyone know of a more permanent fix? This has become a daily annoyance for me.

0 Kudos
JDPJr
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the same thing. Alarms not clearing. I'm clearing them manually for now by disable re-enable method, and/or 'service mgmt-vmware restart' method.

0 Kudos
akmolloy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm also seeing the same thing. I'm getting heartbeat alarms, and they don't ever clear themselves.

-Tony

0 Kudos
jpjeffery
Contributor
Contributor

Well, the original poster started this thread in October 2007 and refers to ESX v3.0.2, and VI v2.0.2.

akmolloy reports the problem in Jan 2008.

And here we are in July 2008, running ESX v3.5.0 with VI Client v2.5.0 and yet STILL seeing the same thing.

Maybe it's only a small point, but it's still really irritating and makes the virtual environment look like it's running really badly and of course detracts from alarms that might actually be representative of a real problem.

Does anyone know if VMWare have at least acknowledged the issue?

Jeff

0 Kudos
eskandermirza
Contributor
Contributor

Agree with Jeff. may be a small issue but does not look good when there are uncleared alarms. I have the same issue since upgrading to 2.5 and 3.5

0 Kudos
rmatte
Contributor
Contributor

August 19th, 2009, still seeing this exact same issue with VMware vCenter Server Version 4.0.0.

VMWare, fix this please!!!

0 Kudos
mmehlich
Contributor
Contributor

October 16th, 2009, still seeing this exact same issue with VMware vCenter Server Version 4.0.

0 Kudos
mrhsupport
Contributor
Contributor

Late updater here. I agree this needs to be looked at. I Just upgraded as of Oct 27th 2009 to version 2.5 build 174768 and I am seeing the same issue. Hopefully it will be soon.

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you could schedule this script to auto acknowledge alarms older than 2 days :

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine |%{$_.TriggeredAlarmState} | ?{$_.time -lt (Get-Date).AddDays(-2)} | ?{$_.Acknowledged -ne "True"} | %{(Get-View -Id 'AlarmManager-AlarmManager').AcknowledgeAlarm($_.alarm, $_.entity)}

0 Kudos
ldornak
Contributor
Contributor

False alarms continue in vSphere. This is now becoming more than an annoyance. With the implementation of thin provisioning, we need to rely on alarms to inform us of disk usage. I do not trust the alarms in vCenter (due to false alarms) thus I'm very leery to start over committing my storage with thin provisioned disks.

0 Kudos
TheRedKing
Contributor
Contributor

23rd of Feb 2010

Still seeing this issue. I'd definitely classify this as a Severe bug.

VMWare vSphere Client 4.0.0 Build 208111

VMWare vCenter Server 4.0.0 Build 208111

VMWare ESX 4.0.0 Build 208167

The point of an alarm is to alert you to a problem. If the system sits there crying wolf and your inbox is flooded with useless, inaccurate information every couple of minutes then you will ignore all alarms, legitimate or not. At this point the purpose of the alarm system is made completely redundant and might as well not be there.

If VMWare are not going to repair the issue they should remove the functionality and suggest an alternative monitoring solution that they verify works with a VMWare environment.

0 Kudos
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I too am seeing storage alerts that never stop until I reboot the vCenter server. Then I see them come back the next day or so.

Latest vSphere builds...

0 Kudos
xadox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue for me!

0 Kudos
ubersol
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue with default alarms in vSphere 4.0..

0 Kudos
Dynamax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

are the cleanup tasks running on your databases?

0 Kudos