VMware Cloud Community
ronaldlw1
Contributor
Contributor

Adding second publically accessable network interface on vcenter server appliance

Hello, I went through the process of trying to figure out how to allow my vcenter server appliance to be accessable via a public ip in case of loss of our vpn server.  After having vmware support tell me that it's basically not possbile I went ahead and did it anyway, and the support person suggested that I post the process here in case other users might find it useful. So here it is:

#add second nic to the vcenter server appliance and assign it to the public network
#get into vcenter server console via ssh or through vsphere client
#log into the shell and copy /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 file to ifcfg-eth1 (or you could just create a new one if you like)

cp /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1

#edit the new ifcfg file

vi /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO='static'
STARTMODE='auto'
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCONTROL='no'
IPADDR='desired_public_ip'
NETMASK='
ip_netmask'

# create symbolic link to ifcfg-eth1 in /etc/sysconfig/network
ln -s /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1 /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth1

# create route definition for eth1 with route to the ip you wish to connect FROM (x.x.x.x in this case)
vi /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute-eth1
#destination ip/ mask/ gateway / interface
x.x.x.x/32 g.g.g.g eth1

#x.x.x.x is the public ip of the location you want to connect to vcenter server appliance from.
#g.g.g.g is the gateway for the vcenter server appliance public network.

#bring up the interface:
ifup eth1

#to remove public access altogether:
ifdown eth1

Hope this helps somone.

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vGuy
Expert
Expert

Since vCSA runs on LINUX, I think you should be able to use the standard Linux method of adding static route:

http://www.itsyourip.com/Linux/howto-add-a-persistent-static-route-in-redhat-enterprise-linux/

You can also add the route command to /etc/rc.local file so that it's read upon every reboot.

hth!

0 Kudos
ronaldlw1
Contributor
Contributor

vGuy,

Thanks for the info, since vmware uses SUSE the centos approach doesn't work.  Here's what I found:
# create route definition for eth1 with route to the ip you wish to connect FROM (x.x.x.x in this case)
vi /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute-eth1
#destination ip/ mask/ gateway / interface
x.x.x.x/32 g.g.g.g eth1

#x.x.x.x is the public ip of the location you want to connect to vcenter server appliance from.
#g.g.g.g is the gateway for the vcenter server appliance public network.

0 Kudos