VMware Cloud Community
RobAtHomeNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

4.1 Data Migration tool - "Error: Backing up vCenter Orchestrator configuration failed"

While following this KB article, I came across an error. I Googled around a bit but there's really not much on this. This process has taken me the better part of a month to get this far. Now, all I have to do is migrate my database & settings... However, like with everything else I've come up against whilst moving from 4.0 to 4.1 (and building a new server to do it), nothing seems to be going my way with this project.

Anyway, I ran the backup.bat script a few times and each time, it failed at the same spot. The error given is "Error: Backing up vCenter Orchestrator configuration failed." The log file has been attached. I've rebooted, made sure all VMware services have been stopped, and still no joy.

Any help would be great! If not, I'm going to have to make another call into the support team. I've been playing with VMware products for years and I've never had to call in until this project came along. In this month alone, I have opened 4 tickets!

2010-09-24

0723 EDT

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
skhoury
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm almost positive this can safely be ignored, especially if you're not using Orchestrator. I recently performed a 4.1 migration to another server and had the same error - I didn't have any issues at all.

salimkhoury.com | @SalimKhoury

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Are you actually using the vCenter Orchestrator? I have seen this error as well, but it has always been when Orchestrator wasn't actually being used.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
RobAtHomeNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't even know what vCenter Orchestrator is! I guess it's safe to say I've never used it but I didn't know if it was something I used indirectly through vCenter.

2010-09-24

0916 EDT

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Orchestrator is a workflow tool, and something you would have to use to then interact with vCenter. I would try to proceed and just ignore this error. If it doesn't back up the config (because it probably doesn't exist) for something you aren't using, then there should be no issues on the restore.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
skhoury
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm almost positive this can safely be ignored, especially if you're not using Orchestrator. I recently performed a 4.1 migration to another server and had the same error - I didn't have any issues at all.

salimkhoury.com | @SalimKhoury
0 Kudos
RobAtHomeNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, I'll give this a try Monday or so. I don't want to mess up anything before I leave for the weekend. I'll report my findings once I'm done with the task.

0 Kudos
RobAtHomeNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay, I ignored the error and proceeded with the process. It looks like it took. I'm watching it to see if anything else breaks.

I just wish there were a yes, proceed or no, don't proceed prompt for things that are okay to skip...

0 Kudos