VMware Cloud Community
paulc_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to find PlatformType [Win32]

After installing Hyperic 4.5 server and agent on Windows Server 2003, I see the server in the auto-discovery panel. However, when I try to "Add to Inventory", I get the following error: Unable to import platform : org.hyperic.hq.common.SystemException: org.hyperic.hq.common.SystemException: Unable to find PlatformType [Win32]

Also, if I try to manually add a patform in the resources tab, there are no options available in the "Platform Type" dropdown (only "Select...").

Please advise.

Thanks,
Paul

Also, I should add, when I click the server name in the auto discovery panel, I get a popup that says "Stack overflow at line: 5669"

Message was edited by: paulc
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Reinier_den_Oud
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem. Did you find already the solution?
0 Kudos
paulc_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

no...still no resolution on this
0 Kudos
d1803
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like an issue with spaces in the server install path -- re-locating my server-4.5 directory enabled the server to actually complete its deployment process (without spitting stack traces to the log), and the eam_platform_type table (and others) to be populated with initial data.

Here's what I did to re-locate the server, assuming it's installed to the default "C:\Program Files\server-4.5":
1. Open a command prompt.
2. In the command prompt, run: "C:\Program Files\server-4.5\bin\hq-server" stop
(adjust path as required)
3. Run: "C:\Program Files\server-4.5\bin\hq-server" remove
4. Relocate the server-4.5 directory, eg. to C:\Hyperic\server-4.5
5. [Back] in the command prompt, run: "C:\Hyperic\server-4.5\bin\hq-server" install
6. Finally, run: "C:\Hyperic\server-4.5\bin\hq-server" start
... and hold your breath...

You may also want to relocate the agent as well, just to be safe... process follows as above.

As an aside, I've attached a log for the Hyperic staff. Looks like bad escaping on the space here:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program%20Files\Hyperic\server-4.5\bin\..\hq-engine\hq-server\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\hq-plugins\gemfire-plugin.jar (The system cannot find the path specified)

and again, here:
2010-11-10 23:48:23,722 ERROR [main] [org.hyperic.hq.common.Log4jWatcher@45] log4j file C:\Program%20Files\Hyperic\server-4.5\hq-engine\hq-server\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes\log4j.xml does not exist

Note that these files really do exist, just not in "Program%20Files". 🙂
d1803
Contributor
Contributor

Attachment added (oops).
0 Kudos
paulc_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

worked ! thanks much for your response
0 Kudos
Reinier_den_Oud
Contributor
Contributor

Now it works perfectly! thanks a million!
0 Kudos
Wang99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wait some minutes. Then try it again.
Good luck.
0 Kudos
jyothi_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

How to get the VM Metrics(i am moniting XenServer 5.6 and 4 guest VM's are present in it) in hyperic. I am able to get only the host metrics. Is there any procedure to get the VM metrics.

Can you please share some links if any other procedure is to be followed.

Thanks in Advance,

Thanks & Regards,
Jyothi
0 Kudos
pawanctc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for the steps. It fixed the issue.

Can we find this documented in the manuals?

Thanks, Pawan If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos