VMware Cloud Community
jvalkeal_hyperi

HQU for alert synchronizing and cloning

Some of you may already be aware of my hqu adminhelper plugin. It was made to help daily tasks of hq admins to clone and synchronize alert definitions. Originally it was done against EE edition. So finally I found some time to create first version which also supports CE edition. If you have any feedback, ideas, bugs, etc... feel free to post it to this thread.

It's now available on Hyperforge http://support.hyperic.com/display/hypcomm/HQU+Admin+Helper

At this moment I could tell something about github. I've transferred source code from my local svn repository to git hosted by github.com. What facebook is to people, source code is to github. If you want to participate development of this plugin(and who wouldn't), then this is a great place to start.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Great plugin Janne.. I've been playing with this over the past couple of weeks and am very impressed. I've also been meaning to try out github, maybe this will give me the motivation to do so 🙂

-Ryan
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Janne -- cool stuff!

It's awesome that our users are able to extend HQ for more specific
needs. Seems like you're leading the pack, there.

I've added your plugin to the hquplugins.org main page. We (Hyperic)
need to be a little more aggressive with adding new plugins to this
section of the website, as it gives users code samples & exciting new
features.

I've also added the HQU Wall Mount application. You may want to make
sure your email is highly visible on both, so people can contact you
with contributions or bugs.. 😉

Thanks again!

-- Jon

On Feb 26, 2009, at 7:19 AM, Janne wrote:

> Some of you may already be aware of my hqu adminhelper plugin. It
> was made to help daily tasks of hq admins to clone and synchronize
> alert definitions. Originally it was done against EE edition. So
> finally I some found time to create first version which also
> supports CE edition. If you have any feedback, ideas, bugs, etc...
> feel free to post it to this thread.
>
> It's now available on Hyperforge http://support.hyperic.com/display/hypcomm/HQU+Admin+Helper
>
> At this moment I could tell something about github. I've transferred
> source code from my local svn repository to git hosted by
> github.com. What facebook is to people, source code is to github. If
> you want to participate development of this plugin(and who
> wouldn't), then this is a great place to start.

0 Kudos
jvalkeal_hyperi

Well thanks guys, just my two cents to the pile... 😉

You know, I wouldn't mind if Hyperic arrange a tracking system for community managed plugins. Personally I like to keep things organized. These plugins are just my view how to do these things. Ideas usually evolves and more heads bangs to the wall, better ideas you get.

Like I hate how current synchronize candidate selection is made. I thought it was a good way to do it, but actually it's not. I'm planning to add dojo dropdown box to select alert to sync. Also to change dojotable to grid together with filters would make it much more easier to use.
0 Kudos
jeremib
Contributor
Contributor

I unzipped and copied the contents into hq-plugins, but I do not see any added functionality. Anything else need to be done?

Thanks
0 Kudos
jvalkeal_hyperi

Normal HQ plugins goes under hq-plugins directory. However, HQU plugins are deployed to different directory. For example in my laptop instance directory is:
C:\Program Files\Hyperic HQ Enterprise 4.0.1\server-4.0.1-EE\hq-engine\server\default\deploy\hq.ear\hq.war\hqu

This is the directory where all HQU plugins resides.
0 Kudos