VMware Workspace ONE Community
ZombieSlayer
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 updating even though it is configured/not configured for any type of update mechanism

I have a group of windows 10 machines that for various reasons cannot be updated right now. The only settings configured on them is to disable automatic updates and prevent users from manually checking for updates and manually installing any updates. WUfB and WSUS are not configured, yet the machines apparently are able to reach out to something MS and download/install quality and feature updates. I'm at a loss as to why. Anyone have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bvdn
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

We have the same problem. Did you already fix it?

Looks like WaaSMedicSVC turns the service back on, even when it is disabled. 
thegeekpage.com/windows-update-medic-service-waasmedicscv/ shows more about this.

We are testing it now, but the site states it wil turn on again, so we have to see how long it works. I will keep you updated.

Can We Turn Off the Windows Media Update Service?

Yes, if you want to disable the service at any time, you can, but when you try to disable it through the Service manager, it gives you an Access Denied prompt. Also, service is disabled only temporarily, as the Windows OS automatically turns the update on at some point.

0 Kudos