VMware Cloud Community
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Need recommendations for notebooks that can run ESX inside Workstation

Hi all

every three days some one asks me for a recommendation for a notebook that can run ESX inside Workstation 6.5.2.

As several notebooks may qualify with their CPU but fail due to cheap mainboards or weird BIOS this is not easy -just think about the Sony Vaio posts with all the problems.

So may I ask you to post here if you have a notebook which can run ESX inside VMs and you are satisfied with the device ?

Does anybody already use a notebook with 8 Gb RAM which can do this ?

Thank you

As a start I run a HP compaq nx9420 - which is not the newest one but it dooes the job pretty well.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
13 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello. I'm running a Dell Latitude D630 w/4GB RAM, and it works pretty well.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
fbonez
Expert
Expert

Hi. My Hp nx7300 cpu intel T5600 w/3GB RAM, run pretty well.

-- If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". | @fbonez | www.thevirtualway.it
0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

I use an HP EliteBook 8710w which has been superseded by the HP EliteBook 8730w. I have 8GBs of memory with a T9600 Duo Core Processor. I can easily run 2 ESX VMs, Openfiler, vCenter, and a firewall VM within this notebook with no major issues.

The notebook must be able to enable Intel-VT or AMD-V to be able to work as you know, I use the Intel Processor ID Utility to show this information.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, DABCC Analyst
====
Now Available on Rough-Cuts: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment'
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'
SearchVMware Pro|Blue Gears|Top Virtualization Security Links|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

Hello. I'm running a Dell Latitude D630 w/4GB RAM, and it works pretty well.

Is your D630 seeing all 4GB's of RAM? I've got a D820 with 4GB's but it is only registering 3.2GB's.

Jason D. Langdon

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I'm also running Dell XPS1710 laptop with 4GB RAM and uses for ESX 3.5 and View 3.0 portable testings. Note: Sony VAIO doesn't seems to work even it said BIOS VT enabled, but no options for you to do so and becareful when buying VAIO.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Jason,

I'm seeing 3.5 - running in Ubuntu 8.04. If I remember correctly, when I was running XP I saw 3.2 as well.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yep - I see that too.

In HP notebook with 4 Gb XP sees 3.2Gb while 2k3 sees 3.7 Gb

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Some of the memory could also be assigned to the video card... It also could be an OS barrier as well given the hardware in use.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, DABCC Analyst
====
Now Available on Rough-Cuts: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment'
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'
SearchVMware Pro|Blue Gears|Top Virtualization Security Links|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Nothing beats this Laptop.

Alienware M17

• Intel® Core™2 Quad and Extreme Processors
    (12MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

• Intel® PM45 + ICH9M-E Chipset

• Up to 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz

• 2 dedicated SO-DIMM slots for Dual Channel DDR3 Memory

• Dual Hard Drives in RAID 0

• 5400 RPM - Up to 640GB
      (2 x 320GB)

• 7200 RPM - Up to 1TB
      (2 x 500GB)

• Wired Connectivity

• Integrated Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 (1000 Mbps

Starts at 1399$ bucks

Now that will keep you happy for atleast a couple of years or more!

RJ

Please mark the right answers and help full answers so the users are awarded points.

May be we all live virtual lives..

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Price update, the basic wud run you about 1900 and the max hard core will run you about 4000$

here you go http://www.alienware.com/customize/M17-notebook.aspx?Syscode=PC-LT-M17&SubCode=SKU-WALLET

RJ

Please mark the right answers and help full answers so the users are awarded points.

May be we all live virtual lives..

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Dell have a series of laptop you can max it out with 16GB of RAM and any specs you can imagine, so play shopping on their site and see if it can beat your Alienware. I'm sure it double your speed and specs but price definitely an issue. I could possible build 4-6 powerful desktop with that price Smiley Happy Phenom chips, 8GB RAM, Asus board and case around $500 USD comparing to $4000-8000USD for a highend laptop Smiley Happy I'm not that insane yet.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

Apple just released a new version of their MacBook Pro in 13, 15, and 17 inch screen sizes. Each MacBook can be configured with 8GB's of RAM and from waht I understand, vShpere will run just fune inside of VMware Fusion.

Dear Santa, Smiley Happy

Jason D. Langdon

0 Kudos
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

from waht I understand, vShpere will run just fune inside of VMware Fusion.

Yes it will. vSphere Lab on VMware Fusion

0 Kudos