VMware Cloud Community
cwickstrom
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client is not working right

Has anyone experienced problems with the vSphere Client recently? I am wondering if my problems are related to a Windows update installed on my local PC over the last week. Here are my symptoms:

1. If I leave console windows open for a few hours, when I come back to them, they no longer connect to VMware. Trying to wake them up (whether or not they have a screen saver) results in them going to a black VMware screen and hanging there. The only way I can bring up a useful console is to close the console window and restart it. Note that if I have multiple windows open, all of them show the same symptoms.

2. After a local computer reboot (I rarely reboot my local computer, but that is changing thanks to this problem), I can open multiple console windows, but once they have locked up and I close them, I can only open one console window at a time. As soon as I open a second console window, the first is closed. If I reopen the first, the second closes, and so on.

What is happening? Why is the vSphere Client so flaky? (Note that I am not using VCenter)

Thanks,

Craig

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

What is happening? Why is the vSphere Client so flaky? (Note that I am not using VCenter)

I won't say VI Client (4.0) is perfect, but it's not that bad. I'd say you have some registry corruption, time to clean out the registry with a good registry tool. also some of the plug-ins cause this behavior, so it may not be VI Client related at all, it could be that the plug-ins can't talk correct to your vCenter because they hang.

I leave my VI client open all day, sometimes with a few VM consoles, but it doesn't close or crash. VI Client 2.5 was a bit more temperamental, but 4.0 is much more solid, so I would say it's pretty good, especially now since they updated it so I can run it on 64-bit windows 7.

Which brings me to my next question, what OS is this on?

0 Kudos
cwickstrom
Contributor
Contributor

RParker,

Thanks for the response. I'm running on XP SP3. I've been leaving the V client running all day until this week I started having trouble - after Windows updates. I'm not so sure about running a registry cleaner because don't trust such beasts to not mess with something that is good. Perhaps I'll have to bite the bullet, but I'm looking for an explanation that leads to the right solution.

Craig

0 Kudos