VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

paravirtualization

I am running SLES10SP1 which has support for paravirtualization(it was added in SP1). My host is ESX3.5

I am a bit confused if I should enable the paravirtualization box on the sles guest. Will it increase performance? What are the downsides?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chucks0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not sure if VMI is included in SLES10 SP1. With an Ubuntu 7.04 VM, after enabling VMI, I get the following when executing "dmesg | grep vmi"

vmi: registering clock event vmi-timer. mult=10041167 shift=22

Booting paravirtualized kernel on vmi

When enabling VMI on a SLES10 SP1 VM, "dmesg | grep vmi" returns nothing

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
chucks0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not sure if VMI is included in SLES10 SP1. With an Ubuntu 7.04 VM, after enabling VMI, I get the following when executing "dmesg | grep vmi"

vmi: registering clock event vmi-timer. mult=10041167 shift=22

Booting paravirtualized kernel on vmi

When enabling VMI on a SLES10 SP1 VM, "dmesg | grep vmi" returns nothing

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hmm...maybe I misread the sles10 info...maybe it was talking about vmi available with XEN?

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Paravirtualization within a Linux guest applies only to Xen. However, if you install VMware Tools you have a few VMware drivers available to you. vmxnet, balloon driver, etc. That is as close to paravirtualized you will get with VMware products.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education. As well as the Virtualization Wiki at http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Virtualization

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
chucks0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This isn't completely true. ESX 3.5 includes VMI paravirtualization support for linux guests that support it. VMI support has been built into the latest linux kernels. I have tested and verified it with the latest versions of Ubuntu and OpenSuse. VMI support is supposed to be incorporated into the next releases of the enterprise linux versions as well.

Hello,

Paravirtualization within a Linux guest applies only to Xen. However, if you install VMware Tools you have a few VMware drivers available to you. vmxnet, balloon driver, etc. That is as close to paravirtualized you will get with VMware products.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education. As well as the Virtualization Wiki at

jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos