VMware Cloud Community
sanjacinto
Contributor
Contributor

VM System Event Error: The device has a bad block

In my Event Viewer->System logs, I spotted the following error "The device, \Device\Harddisk1, has a bad block." It has occurred several times in the last month, usually in the early morning. For what it is worth, we run a Backup Exec job usually during those times, but they've been completing successfully.

I'm running ESX\Vcenter 4.0. The Guest is Windows Server 2003

It's odd (to me, a relatively new user) that a VM could generate Hardware errors.

Any suggestions on what to do or what to look out for?

thanks

7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

local or SAN disk? You have any other VM's that are sharing the same LUN of the VM in question? Are they getting any errors? Windows may see it as local disk, but in reality it is not. If local disk, try running some hardware diagnostics and if SAN disk, talk to your Enterprise Storage Team.

0 Kudos
sanjacinto
Contributor
Contributor

SAN Disk. (datastore).

There are five other VMs on the Datastore, none of them have the disk error in their event logs.

I am the enterprise storage team. (Reminds me of the story of Paliachi).

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You have a VM that reports a bad block ?

Very good - I was looking for that since a while.

Can you zip all vmware.logs and attach them on next post ? - I want to look into it

thanks Ulli

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
sanjacinto
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe - being inexperienced, I feel like I don't know enough about what I might be exposing in posting all those logs. Can you give me a better sense of what you might be looking for? A way I can reduce the size of what I post?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

I want to inspect the vmware.logs for disklib entries.

If you are lucky I find something and can give youa tip for fixing this.

Ulli

-

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
markpm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I have a customer with exactly the same setup and problem.

There is one other VM on the same host and they are only using local storage.
There are no HW problems reported on the host or in its IML via the iLO (HP Server)

Always occurs during a backup and straight after the bad block error on the affected VM, I also get the following...

"The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:."

Did you ever fix this?
If so, what was the problem?

Thanks,

Mark...

0 Kudos
vlad0816
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

I have same issue with one vdisk.

When i check it with chkdsk it show 16K bad sectors.

chkdsk.PNG

when i migrate data from this disk to new with robocopy it show file affected.

robocopy.png

So, I think migrate data to new vdisk is only one way.

0 Kudos