VMware Cloud Community
Tian00Di00
Contributor
Contributor

The eth0 does not work at start up on guest RedHat 9.0!

Hi, all!

I am now using the latest Vmware workstation trial version (.6.5.2) and I installed successfully RedHat Linux 9.0 on it. After installing VMware tools, everything seems work fine. But there is still one thing that's rather irrating. I set the virual interface to the NAT mode, but the eth0 interface on the RedHat guest OS just won't work at start up. In order for eth0 to work, each time, I have to run the commands as follows:

/etc/init.d/network stop

rmmod pcnet32

rmmod vmxnet

modprobe vmxnet

/etc/init.d/network start

Althoug I can put them in a shell script and configure the guest OS to run it automatically at startup, I think it's a bug contained in VMWare workstation version 6.5.2.

Is there anyone who encountered a similiar situation? Is there any other workaround besides mine? any information is greatly appreciated!

p.s. I also installed a Windows guest OS, using similiar configurations, its network inferace work just fine!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Most likely the line in /etc/modprobe.conf for vmxnet is not proper. I often change this to be either

eth0 pcnet32

or

eth0 vmxnet

And not the other stuff VMware Tools adds.

Sometimes I also have to start up the dhcp client in /etc/rc.d/rc.local as by then things are stable and loaded.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, DABCC Analyst
====
Now Available on Rough-Cuts: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment'
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'
SearchVMware Pro|Blue Gears|Top Virtualization Security Links|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos