VMware Cloud Community
Firebolt059
Contributor
Contributor

Question about VMware?

I am new here, and i know nothing about virutal machines.

Is there a free VMware product? all i want to do is test antiviruses and antispywares. i will be doing nothing else but this with the virtual machine.

Also, how would i easily infect it?

Can a mod or admin pleae move this if it is in the wrong place? Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. VMware has a few options for you

1) VMware Player

2) VMware Server

3) VMware ESXi

Player is the simplest product to use and ESXi the more complex (and it requires a dedicated host plus a management PC). The VM you create will behave just like a normal host so you'll be able to infect it in the same manner you would a normal host. A virus in the guest VM won't necessarily translate down to the host, but in the case of a worm for example there is nothing stopping the VM from attacking other hosts on your network. With ESXi you would be able to configure the most secure environment if you're concerned with the rest of your network.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
Firebolt059
Contributor
Contributor

So should i just use VMware player?

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Depends on your needs. If you already have VMs or download VMs then VMware Player works great. VMware Server is just as easy but is sort of player on steriods and runs within your Host OS just like Player. If you want bare metal you go with ESXi...

Most people do not have the 'bare metal' 'white-box' server requirements at home so we generally suggest for them Player or Server.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009

Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]

Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]

Blogging: The Virtualization Practice[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|TechTarget[/url]|Network World[/url]

Podcast: Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]|Twitter: Texiwll[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos