VMware Cloud Community
bfrisan
Contributor
Contributor

How do you uninstall VMware Tools on  computers?

Not sure which board to post this on.  Please move if in wrong place.

It appears that our computers may have been imaged from an image that was created from a vm workstation.

It the only thing that makes sense as to why VMware Tools is on all our computers.  Now the current version of VMware Tools is being flagged by our vulnerability scanner.   We have tried every which way to uninstall VMware Tools via programs and features and command line methods.  It won't go away.  I have even tried to download latest VMware Tools to install manually on a computer and that won't work either.     Open to suggestions on how to remove it all together since it's not really needed.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you please provide some details about the issues you see, like error messages, log file entries, ...?

André

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
bfrisan
Contributor
Contributor

There are no errors message trying to uninstall.  I perform uninstall from program and features and it goes about the typical motions of uninstalling an application. Then when it's done it disappears/closes and vmware tools is still there.

If I try to install a new version/patch nothing happens.  But I do see event ids 1005 and 1000 for the failed install.

0 Kudos
bfrisan
Contributor
Contributor

CVE-2022-31676.  But 12.1.0 will not install on any computer I try.  Event id logs show 1000 & 1005 for failed installs.
0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Open a VMware support case, see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2006985.

edited:
Multiple issues usually make it difficult to clean up an installation. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1001354 lists the entries per Windows OS. VMware support can help you to analyze your environment and provide a recipe.

0 Kudos
bfrisan
Contributor
Contributor

Yea saw that article breaking it down by OS.   Hoping to not go that route.  I have 150+ computers to do this on.

Now to find somesone who can open a ticket on my behalf.   Thanks.

0 Kudos