VMware Cloud Community
greggap
Contributor
Contributor

File Level Backups for VM's, alternatives to NTbackup

Hi All,

We have in each office an ESX server that runs a Domain Controller VM as well as a File Server VM. We have been using NT

Backup to a Dlink unit that is network based with two drives in it. Needless to say NTbackup is completely unreliable

and we often can't restore files, etc etc. We are looking at alternatives, from my understanding Backup Exec

and Netbackup both still use the .BKF format when backing up to disc. I have looked at Esxpress and

Esx Ranger, Esxpress is too expensive with the file level backup option that is available now

in a release candidate, ESX Ranger doesn't seem great because we want to have to buy a

desktop to run it locally physically near the server. I asked them about running it in

a VM and they strongly are against it.

Any thoughts are recommended. Anything that reliably backs up the files and can do a file level

restore is all we need.

Greg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

With the file server you would be fine with esXpress or ESX Ranger and the snapshot backups that they provide. You would want to avoid snapshots with a domain controller especially if it is not the only DC in the domain / forest. You'd want to stike with something like Backup Exec or NTBackup which can provide you with a good system state backup.

Here's a PDF of various backup methods that exist: http://download3.vmware.com/vmworld/2006/mdc9870.pdf but for the DC you look at something that can do a file and system state backup.

0 Kudos
harald_buch
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Greg,
did you hava a look at vcb?
A combination of image-backups and file based backups could do the job.
Pro:
you don't need an backup agent in your vm
Contra:
Only a few backup programs supported (TSM, Veritas BE, Legato Netoworkr)
0 Kudos