VMware {code} Community
tmoral
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what are the requirements for san transport mode

Hello,

I have a physical vcb 1.5 proxy (windows 2003 x64), and I always use the command vcbmounter with -m san option.

On this vcb proxy, I compile and run vixDiskSample on a disk of a vm that is on the san lun, and I am surprised that 'san' is not in the listed transport modes.

I only have :

vixDiskSample -host vccenter -user username -password pass -vm "vmPath=/datacenter/vm/vm1" -info "[Storage1] vm1/vm1.vmdk"

> Transport modes supported by vixDiskLib: file:nbdssl:nbd

I installed this version : VMware-vix-disklib-1.1.0-163495.i386.exe

The vm is power off.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The SAN / HotAdd configuration that you have for VCB should work without change. Can you post the log thru a private message?

Sudarsan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
tmoral
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I reread the documentation and I found that a moref to a snapshot is needed. I am investigating this.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

snapshot is required for SAN.

-Sudarsan

0 Kudos
tmoral
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that ssmoref is needed to use to ConnectEx instead of the Connect.

So, I have added-ssmoref "snapshot-88" to my vixSample command line. But I still get the same result. I even tried with the service "VMware Virtual Mount Manager Extended" stopped to be sure that there is no interference, but still no san mode appears.

I am probably missing something.

Do you have a test procedure, with all the steps to follow to check if the san mode is enabled ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The documentation should cover these - but briefly, please

• make sure you have the valid ssmoref and valid moref

• make sure the disk path that you are providing is a disk that belongs to that snapshot. You might want to use mob for a quick check - though programmatically you will need to use VI api to extract this information.

To get to the mob: https:///mob and browse thru the objects.

You will see quite a bit of diagnostic information on the console where you are running the program and also the /var/log/VMware/hostd.log file on the ESX side - if you are going directly to ESX (i.e. not thru VC).

Thanks

Sudarsan

0 Kudos
tmoral
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks sudarsan for your response

I reread the documentation and the only thing that I notice is that VixDiskLib_InitEx should be called instead of VixDiskLib_Init. The sample provided in the vddk toolkit still use VixDiskLib_Init. I changed it, but I still got the same result.

Using the esx directly, I can see a lot of debug trace information about DISKLIB-VMFS and NFC DEBUG, but all operations suceeds.

For getting the moref and vmdk path, I already use the vijava api to get the values of all kind of object.

Is there somewhere a trace for the transport connection tests and the san in particular ? Or can I activate some debug information to have more detailled information on the transport mode ?

Do you know if the san configuration for vcb should work for the vddk api without changes ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The SAN / HotAdd configuration that you have for VCB should work without change. Can you post the log thru a private message?

Sudarsan

0 Kudos