VMware {code} Community
kgupta
Contributor
Contributor

VixDiskLib_Open fails while connecting through vCenter

Hi,

I am trying to get info of a vmdk using the following the vddk sample application. here is what i am running :-

vixDiskLibSample.exe -info -host "vCenter1" -user administrator -password secret -vm "vmPath=ha-datacenter/vm/Win 2k3 -x86" "[Storage1] Win 2k3 -x86/Win 2k3-x86.vmdk"

OUTPUT:-

• INFO: TicketResolveHostName: Resolving IP address for hostname vCenter1

• INFO: TicketResolveHostName: Resolved to 10.209.4.133.

• INFO: VixDiskLibVim: TicketLogin

• INFO: VixDiskLibVim: TicketFindVMByInvPath: vmxPath = -ha-datacenter/vm/Win 2

k3 -x86-

• (vixDiskLibSample.exe:4336): WARNING **: VixDiskLibVim: TicketFindVMCb failur

e - VixError = 4000.

• INFO: VixDiskLibVim: TicketLogout

Error: c:\program files\vmware\vmware virtual disk development kit\doc\sample\vixdisklibsample.cpp:471 fa0 The virtual machine cannot be found

Here i've added the esx server ( on which VM is residing) to the virtual center "vCenter1" and i am connecting using the vCenter credentials.

The same command if i run giving host as the esx server and credentials of esx server, it runs succesfully. While debugging through this sample application i found that VDDK connect api runs succesfully, but VDDK open fails with error 4000.

Can anyone help me, what i am doing wrong here ?

Here are my ESX and vCenter Versions:

ESX version 4.0

virtualCenter version 4.0

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

In "vmPath=ha-datacenter/vm/Win 2k3 -x86" try replacing "ha-datacenter" with the name of the datacenter that you created in vCenter.

The string "ha-datacenter" is a place holder when connecting directly to a ESX/ESXi host.

In vCenter, ESX/ESXi hosts are part of datacenters.

Hopefully this should solve the problem.

Regards

Swapnil D.

0 Kudos