VMware {code} Community
writetonikhil
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot mount vmdk file

Hi all,

I am trying to mount a vmdk file on Windows XP. If I do it manually using the vmware-mount utility, I can mount it and access the VM without any issues. But if you fire the same command through a perl script(using Perl's 'system' command), I can mount the vmdk. The error I get in the vmware-mount logs is:

VMware-mount (Release) - build-99018

Using system libcrypto, version 9070CF

Scanning directory of file J:\VTM\Temp\ReshamaTest\vtm-windowsServiceTestddd.vmdk for vmx files.

baseDir = 'J:\VTM\Temp\ReshamaTest\', vmx file = 'vtm-windowsServiceTestddd.vmx'

Search start: 'J:\VTM\Temp\ReshamaTest\vtm-windowsServiceTestddd.vmx', baseDiskOnly

Search result: inTree , isCurrent , isLegacy , states: 1

Search analysis: disk file found as part of current state.

Plugin Pkt details Size 292 PktType 2 DiskFile = J:\VTM\Temp\ReshamaTest\vtm-windowsServiceTestddd.vmdk, vol = 0, Desired Drive = 8192, openFlags = 0

Plugin failed with 30009

Client: Unable to mount the virtual disk. The disk may be in use by a virtual

machine, may not have enough volumes or mounted under another drive

letter. If not, verify that the file is a valid virtual disk file.

PluginVolume failed. Details: Unknown error 196617 (0x30009)

Errorcode = -2.

VMware-mount (Release) - build-99018

Using system libcrypto, version 9070CF

The volume was not mounted by VMware-mount. It may be a network drive or

it may have been mounted using another utility. It cannot be dismounted.

Errorcode = -2.

I couldnt find anything related to the error no. 30009. The strange thing about this issue is, the same vmdk file was getting mounted few hours back and I haven't changed anything on the VMDK file. Attached is the full vmware-mount log file.

- Nikhil

0 Kudos
2 Replies
killermachine18
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like the vmdk is still mounted or locked. Did you dismounted the vmdk before mounting it again?

0 Kudos
writetonikhil
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the VMDK file is unmounted properly.

0 Kudos