VMware Cloud Community
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation

I get the following error when I try to shutdown or reboot a ESXi 5.5 update 2 host as well as start, suspend, or shutdown VMs: "Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation." I am using version 1.4.509000 of the Android app.  This app should let me do these basic operations just as the free vSphere client does as well. I'm not sure if VMWare is purposefully restricting what we are allowed to do in the app or if the app has a bug that prevents it from doing these basic tasks.

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am able to reproduce the issue on a different ESX server.

The issue has been fixed.

Here is beta build if you don't mind trying:

https://horizonworkspace.vmware.com:443/data/shf/EUVKOvu6TV29BOXfLkF30gAENzA5OQA=

Let us know how it goes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
31 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for contacting vSphere Mobile Watchlist support.

I am able to perform 'Reboot' on my ESXi 5.5 u2 server, is your server a new setup? or a upgrade from old version?

if it was upgraded, could you try a new setup?

Meanwhile, I will check with other engineers.

0 Kudos
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had ESXi 5.1 installed before.  I did a clean install for ESXi 5.5 u2 and selected the option to preserve vmfs.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you applied the license key?

if you have not, please give it a try.

Tutorials can be found here:

Free VMware vSphere Hypervisor, Free Virtualization (ESXi) | United States

Scroll down to Technical Information, then click License Overview.

0 Kudos
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, I had the VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5 License applied before trying the Watchlist app.

I can also confirm that this same issue is present on the iOS version of the app.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info.

Do you get the same error on VMs' operations? or this only occurs on ESX Host?

Also, if you have a spare server, could you do a fresh setup?

0 Kudos
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, this issue occurs on VM operations as well.  I do not have a spare server to test a fresh setup at the moment.  I am using the same license key that was assigned when I first downloaded ESXi 5.0, has the license changed at all that would prevent this?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you downloaded ESX5.5 u2, you should have been given a new key.

If you don't have the new key any more, could you download it again?

0 Kudos
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How can I get a new license key?  I am using the license key listed on the same site as the download page for the VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.5 Download Center, after I login here: http://www.vmware.com/go/get-free-esxi.  I am assuming the license key has never changed since I started using VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.0.  I also don't see an option on the website to request a new license key.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Correct, the License key on on download page of ESX 5.5u2.

Could you verify if the new key match the key you server has? if not, could you apply it and if the issue goes away?

0 Kudos
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can confirm that I am using the VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5 License Key that is listed on my ESXi 5.5 u2 download page.  I do not think that the license key has changed since 5.0 though since the download page has all the previous versions all the way back to 5.0 and there is no option on the website to request a new license key either.  This leads me to the assumption that "VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5 License Key" applies to all 5.x versions of ESXi so this shouldn't be causing the issue.  Can anyone at VMware verify this license key issue and/or issue me a new license key?  Are you still looking at the problem from a technical viewpoint as well?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The app does not handle permission nor privilege, the error message comes straight from ESXi.

And the App works fine with my test server, one difference is mine is fresh install, yours is upgrade from 5.1.

We will continue to look into this issue.

Could you confirm that desktop vSphere client works?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While we are investigating this issue,

could you verify your license per the attached screenshot?

Do you have a never-expire license key?

0 Kudos
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, the desktop vSphere client works fine.  I was able to get a spare hard drive and just tried a completely clean installation.  I am still having the same issue.

0 Kudos
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I see the exact same thing as you posted in the picture, except my license key is different.  I even tried the license key that you posted and I am still running into the same issue.  So if I am using your license and it still doesn't work, it is probably not a license issue right?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Very strange.

could you send the system info to us?

In Log in screen, tap 'Settings' button, tap 'About', Tap 'Contact Support'.

Review the info, if it is ok, send it to us.

0 Kudos
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Watchlist Version 1.4.509000

ESX 5.5

Android 4.4.4

Nexus 5

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looks normal to me.

It is very odd you still have the same issue with fresh install.

We will get back to you as soon as we could reproduce the issue.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am able to reproduce the issue on a different ESX server.

The issue has been fixed.

Here is beta build if you don't mind trying:

https://horizonworkspace.vmware.com:443/data/shf/EUVKOvu6TV29BOXfLkF30gAENzA5OQA=

Let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I took the license key off of the ESXi server and put it in Evaluation Mode.  When I did that, the Watchlist app worked fine.  I will try your apk and let you know if it works with the license key.

0 Kudos