VMware Cloud Community
bhadrim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 6.7 Win Server 2012 R2 VMXNET 3 network adapter not detected

I have a Win Server 2012 R2 guest VM with adapter type VMXNET 3 from Win Server 2012 R2 ISO.  When the system powers up the network adapter is not detected. The post here https://nolabnoparty.com/en/windows-server-2012-vmxnet3-not-detected-during-setup/ says I need to install  vmware tools but I cannot install vmware tools, as I need to download the necessary KB2919355  and install them. Any idea why my network adapter is not deleted?

I was able to get Win 2008 and Win 2016 working. The VMXNET3 adapter got detected fine on power on.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Option 1 : as already mentioned: use an E1000e nic
Option 2: download KB2919355 on your admin host and create an ISO-file with it. Then install the patch from the iso

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why do you need to download KB2919355  before the installation of the vmware-tools ?

If you really need that patch install with a E1000e and switch to vmxnet3 later.

Ulli

0 Kudos
bhadrim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for quick reply, the reason why I need is KB2919355, when I run the vmware tools setup I see this warning message.

bhadrim_0-1609807717015.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Option 1 : as already mentioned: use an E1000e nic
Option 2: download KB2919355 on your admin host and create an ISO-file with it. Then install the patch from the iso

0 Kudos
bhadrim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, I choose option 2  as I had already started to build the ISO with all the patch files in https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=42334. Option 1 would have worked too.

0 Kudos