sim80n
Contributor
Contributor

vMotion VMkernel Network Migration

Jump to solution

I need to migrate our vMotion VMkernels to a different subnet which seems easy enough: change VLAN in Port Group and then update static IPv4 setting on each VMkernel.

Before I proceed though, I wanted to see if anyone had done this procedure with a stretched vSAN cluster. We have 2 data centers in our internal network with the vSAN cluster stretched between and each DC has it's own IP range. We are running vCenter/ESXi 7.0 u2 btw. I was thinking I might have to do something with the static routes on the hosts but am not sure. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, see step 9 in the documentation.

Please  be careful that you do this only on the "vMotion" TCP/IP Stack. Overriding the default gateway on the "Default" Stack is not what you really want/need 😉

André

View solution in original post

12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please provide details about the configuration in both DCs to better understand the current state.
How is vMotion configured right now? Is it set up as a dedicated IP-Stack?

André

0 Kudos
sim80n
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, each host has a separate VMkernel adapter for vMotion with an IP from the subnet that is local to each DC's IP range, 10.100.x.x for one DC and 10.200.x.x for the other DC.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The question is whether vMotion uses it's own "IP Stack".

André

0 Kudos
sim80n
Contributor
Contributor

I select vMotion in the VMkernel settings which I believe creates a separate TCP/IP stack, see attached screenshot. Is that what you are asking about?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Selecting vMotion at the point in your screenshot only marks the prot group as a vMotion port grou, but does not create a separate stack. Please see Place vMotion Traffic on the vMotion TCP/IP Stack of an ESXi Host for how to configure the vMotion stack to allow routing.

André

0 Kudos
sim80n
Contributor
Contributor

That screenshot is of the VMkernel not the Port Group. Thank you for providing that link, that is exactly how I created the VMkernels for vMotion on my hosts so I guess they do have a separate TCP/IP stack.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Your screenshot shows that you may have missed to select the vMotion TCP/IP Stack from the drop down menu as mentioned in the documentation (step 7). You've created the vMotion VMkernel port group in the "Default" stack

a_p__0-1632491300522.png

André

0 Kudos
sim80n
Contributor
Contributor

Ah I see. Thank you for helping me understand how to create a separate TCP/IP stack in the VMkernel. Would it be best to create new VMkernels with separate stacks and the new subnet that I need to migrate the vMotion service over to?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From what I understand so far about your network configuration, yes, you may create the vMotion VMkernel port group in its own stack, which allows you to specify a gateway address for that TCP/IP stack.

André

0 Kudos
sim80n
Contributor
Contributor

Is that the same as the "Override default gateway for this adapter" option available on the VMkernel settings?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, see step 9 in the documentation.

Please  be careful that you do this only on the "vMotion" TCP/IP Stack. Overriding the default gateway on the "Default" Stack is not what you really want/need 😉

André

View solution in original post

sim80n
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome. Thank you for all of your help!

0 Kudos