VMware Cloud Community
Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 6.5 License Purchase

Hello Community,

I am looking for purchasing vCenter 6.5 keys for three hosts. It is no more available on the vmware online store anymore. Is there a way to buy it since my hardware is not support beyond esxi 6.5

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

vCenter Server isn't sold as a standalone license anymore.

It's included in the current core based subscription licenses. Even if you consider this, I'm not sure whether newly purchased license can be downgraded to version 6.5, which went out of support 1.5 years ago.

How are the hosts licensed? Please remember that vCenter Server cannot manager hosts with a free Hypervisor license anyway.

André

0 Kudos
Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for reverting. Am aware of that. I was looking for essential license which comes with 2 hosts and a vcenter. don't need ha/ft or vmotion.

Can you please direct me to license purchase page. i may have to recommend upgrade of hardware and go for vsphere 8 eseential or plus etc.

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With the new core licensing, there are basically 4 subscription offerings that remain.
vSphere Essentials Plus, vSphere Standard, VVF, and VCF.

You can find details about that at e.g. https://williamlam.com/2024/01/whats-in-the-new-vmware-vsphere-foundation-vvf-and-vmware-cloud-found...

Hint: Depending on the host, CPU, and core count, licensing the Standard Edition my be less expensive that an Essentials Plus Kit, which has a fixed core count of 96 cores. The break even - taking current list prices into account - is at ~68 cores.
Example: Two hosts with 2x16 cores each = 64 cores.

André