VMware Cloud Community
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"VCSA.SERVERNAME could not be converged."

I'm running a VCSA with an external PSC (see specs at bottom of this post), and trying to "converge to embedded" via the web client; it fails after a few minutes with "VCSA.SERVERNAME could not be converged." (Replace "VCSA.SERVERNAME" with the name of our vcsa server, of course.)

Actually, yesterday it *started* to run. It said something about passing the pre-checks, but then got stuck at 8% for over an hour. I finally rebooted both the vcsa and the psc. Ran the convergence again, got the above error.

So I upgraded both vcsa and psc from 6.7.0.30000 to .31100 and tried the convergence again today; still get the above error.

Today I look in /var/log/vmware/converge at the converge.log, and the date is yesterday. I ran the convergence 3 or 4 different times, but this file never updates. I open the .log and the last lines say:

2019-06-19T19:33:30.652Z INFO converge Setting the converge running flag

2019-06-19T19:33:30.665Z INFO converge Running converge on Management node.

2019-06-19T19:33:30.666Z INFO converge Executing reconfiguring steps. This will take few minutes to complete.

Please wait ...

2019-06-19T19:33:30.666Z INFO converge Downloading RPMs

2019-06-19T19:33:30.666Z INFO converge Collected client:rest as a part of Telemetry

2019-06-19T19:33:30.731Z INFO converge Custom URL repositry not configured.Use default VMware repository URL.

2019-06-19T19:33:30.731Z INFO converge  currentURL = https://vapp-updates.vmware.com/vai-catalog/valm/vmw/647ee3fc-e6c6-4b06-9dc2-f295d12d135c/6.0.0.3010...

2019-06-19T19:33:30.731Z INFO converge Manifest file = https://vapp-updates.vmware.com/vai-catalog/valm/vmw/647ee3fc-e6c6-4b06-9dc2-f295d12d135c/6.0.0.3010...

The only file in that folder that gets updated is the "converge_rest.log" file...here are the last lines in it:

2019-06-20 18:47:15,128 - vcenter.system_config_impl - INFO - feature ConvergeAPI is enabled.

2019-06-20 18:47:15,128 - vcenter.system_config_impl - INFO - feature ConvergeAPI is enabled.

2019-06-20 18:47:15,128 - vcenter.system_config_impl - ERROR - Converge is already running.Got another REST call externally.

2019-06-20 18:47:15,128 - vcenter.system_config_impl - ERROR - Converge is already running.Got another REST call externally.

Any help would be great!

Here are the specs of my system:

Vsphere: 6.7U1

VCSA:

Type: vCenter Server with an external Platform Services Controller

Product: VMware vCenter Server Appliance

Version: 6.7.0.31100

Build number 13843380

PSC:

Type: VMware Platform Services Controller

Product: VMware vCenter Server Appliance

Version: 6.7.0.31100

Build number 13843380

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, after a 4h16m phone call with support, the base problem was that no matter what vmware url we pointed to, we couldn't pull the RPMs...so the install continued to "stick" at 8% complete.

Downloading the .iso and mounting it was the correct response, but as I mentioned, I couldn't download the correct .iso.

So support pulled some strings and got me a url for the correct .iso.

We mounted that to the vcsa and ran the converge...and I almost yelled with joy with the progress bar passed 8%. 🙂

My converge is now complete, and my PSCs have been decomissioned.

Closure!!

My particular tech said that this was his 13th support call for convergence, and so far there is *no* pattern...no similarities between the calls. Yikes!

Anyway, glad to be done with that so I can move on.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmmm...does the VM Hardware Compatibility matter? Both the vc and the psc were on older vm hardware. I was able to update the psc, but not the vc because:

"VM has either VMware vSphere Update Manager or VMware vCenter Server installed. This VM will be ignored for scan and remediation."

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, the virtual hardware version doesn't matter. And, in fact, it's not supported to upgrade them, so don't do that.

BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In that case, I'm glad it didn't let me upgrade. 🙂

I have no idea why I can't "converge"...my eyes are crossed after searching for answers for 2 days so far.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have support, I'd recommend just opening a case with GSS. That's what you pay for (if you do) after all.

BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep; should have done that after the 2nd time it didn't work, but I've had my head down and got stubborn. I'll spin up a ticket now and report back!

0 Kudos
zilgs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello BHagenSPI ,

I had the same problem.

This was caused because VCenter does not have access to the internet.

Please try these steps:

1. Take a Snapshot of both VCSA and PSC, Delete all content from vCenter folder var/log/vmware/converge  by running rm -rf /var/log/vmware/converge/*
  2. Delete the file /root/velma/task.json
  3. Reboot external PSC once PSC is up, check all services are up with command service-control --status --all
  4. Reboot VCenter Appliance.
  5. Download the vCenter Server Appliance 6.7 Update 2 ISO image.From the VMware website at https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads,VMware-VCSA-all-version_number-build_number.iso
  6. Confirm that the md5sum is correct. See the VMware website topic Using MD5 Checksums at http://www.vmware.com/download/md5.html.
  7. Attach the ISO image to the CD/DVD drive of the vCenter Server Appliance.
  8. Mount the ISO to the /mnt/cdrom folder with command mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
  9. Try converting to Embedded VCSA using the Converge tool again.

Hope this helps.

BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks! I've done all that except for deleting the contents you recommend. Guess it couldn't hurt to try that!

I do have a ticket in and have had an initial email exchange with support, so we'll see if they also recommend deleting that content. 🙂

zilgs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please try and let me know of the results.

0 Kudos
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1. Take a Snapshot of both VCSA and PSC, Delete all content from vCenter folder var/log/vmware/converge  by running rm -rf /var/log/vmware/converge/*
  2. Delete the file /root/velma/task.json

Interesting! I deleted this content and ran the converge again. A very helpful entry in the new converge.log told me the .iso I'd mounted didn't match the VC version. So I attempted to download the correct version...and it apparently doesn't exist yet.

So I dismounted the .iso from the vcsa and just let it try to grab something from vmware's site, and now I'm seeing the message (in the html5 client) "Getting RPMs." The progress bar is again at 8%; been that way now for 25 minutes.

So...either it's just going to take a looooong time do get those RPMs, or it can't find them and it's just stuck not knowing what to do.

(I can download the 4GB .iso from a workstation on the same subnet as the vcsa in about 12 minutes; not sure if the .iso and the rpm's are the same size or not.)

Here are the last lines of the converge.log. If I try to put the url's in a browser, I get "File not found.""

2019-06-21T17:44:06.81Z INFO converge Validation completed successfully.

2019-06-21T17:44:06.81Z INFO converge Setting the converge running flag

2019-06-21T17:44:06.86Z INFO converge Running converge on Management node.

2019-06-21T17:44:06.86Z INFO converge Executing reconfiguring steps. This will take few minutes to complete.

Please wait ...

2019-06-21T17:44:06.86Z INFO converge Downloading RPMs

2019-06-21T17:44:06.86Z INFO converge Collected client:rest as a part of Telemetry

2019-06-21T17:44:06.139Z INFO converge Custom URL repositry not configured.Use default VMware repository URL.

2019-06-21T17:44:06.140Z INFO converge  currentURL = https://vapp-updates.vmware.com/vai-catalog/valm/vmw/647ee3fc-e6c6-4b06-9dc2-f295d12d135c/6.0.0.3010...

2019-06-21T17:44:06.140Z INFO converge Manifest file = https://vapp-updates.vmware.com/vai-catalog/valm/vmw/647ee3fc-e6c6-4b06-9dc2-f295d12d135c/6.0.0.3010...

zilgs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try downloading the ISO, specific for your version  and  then upload it to a datastore , then mount it to the vcsa, and try the converge tool again.

BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As I mentioned, I tried to download the correct version, but the version that "converge" was looking isn't available. I wish I hadn't erased that log file, otherwise I could tell you what version it was looking for. 😞

I have a feeling that the RPMs that it's trying to download now are wrong too; if you look at the top of the xml file that's linked above, it's for 6.0.0...I'm way past that version.

An hour and 10 minutes later, converge is still at 8% complete.

zilgs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you create the snapshots I mentioned?

You could always revert to snapshot and have the vCenter back.

If not , I will suggest creating a support request.

0 Kudos
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah; that's a good point. I actually cloned each of them before upgrading, so I could revert to those and try again...I know I have the correct .iso for them.

But...I'll wait for support to respond. (I started a ticket with them yesterday and sent them more info this morning, but haven't heard back yet.)

BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, after a 4h16m phone call with support, the base problem was that no matter what vmware url we pointed to, we couldn't pull the RPMs...so the install continued to "stick" at 8% complete.

Downloading the .iso and mounting it was the correct response, but as I mentioned, I couldn't download the correct .iso.

So support pulled some strings and got me a url for the correct .iso.

We mounted that to the vcsa and ran the converge...and I almost yelled with joy with the progress bar passed 8%. 🙂

My converge is now complete, and my PSCs have been decomissioned.

Closure!!

My particular tech said that this was his 13th support call for convergence, and so far there is *no* pattern...no similarities between the calls. Yikes!

Anyway, glad to be done with that so I can move on.

bwinkler999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BHagenSPI,

I had my vCenter 6.7U3 converge stuck at 8%, unable to abort.

I followed your instructions to the letter, except I rebooted both the PSC and the VCenter before starting Step #1, just to ensure all running tasks done.

VCenter Converge completed successfully with the ISO mounted!

THANKS!

0 Kudos