VMware Cloud Community
felixndk
Contributor
Contributor

anyone got vSphere running in GCP

Hi

Possible to get vSphere running in GCP? - anyone tried it?

I was thinking installing it on ESX and export image to GCP

Thanks

Felix

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Google and VMware do: https://cloud.google.com/vmware-engine

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
felixndk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but I am not looking for vmware workloads in GCP, only the vsphere server. I will run my workload on-prem esxi hosts. And no need for cluster setup

Felix

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

So you want to run vCenter Server in GCP and have it manage hosts which you have in your on-prem datacenter? Why not just run vCenter Server on those hosts?

0 Kudos
felixndk
Contributor
Contributor

I plan to use ROBO licenses for various branch offices and we use GCP as our primary cloud provider. And our branch office deployment on esxi are not clustered and with HA and so on.

And from what I understand we need a vcenter to be able to use ROBO licenses

Felix

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

it may make sense to fully explain what you are trying to do here. So you have multiple ROBO locations, those run ESXi and you want to manage those with a vCenter Server instance which runs in GCP?

We do not support running vCenter on anything other than a VMware Hypervisor right now. So that would probably be a deal breaker?

0 Kudos
felixndk
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly I have multiple ROBO sites with local workloads running on ESXi and would prefer to run the vcenter server from GCP. GCP do support nested virtualisation, so in theory it should work.

If my vcenter is not running, will my ROBO sites stop working or? 

And can I use a ROBO license to run the venter server? - I know I have to buy a vcenter license also

Felix

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

No, if vCenter isn't running the hosts in the ROBO locations will continue to run. It is just that you can't manage them from vCenter at that point, but other than that they will just work okay.

0 Kudos
felixndk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks 🙂

Last question. Can I use a ROBO license to run my vcenter VM?

Felix

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Well you have the vCenter Standard license, and your hosts would have vSphere ROBO indeed.

0 Kudos