VMware Cloud Community
gciscol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why backup VM is so small

Hi I try to backup VM from Esxi host. Right click on the VM that I want to backup, select Export, then I got the below message. The VM size is about 10GB, why it show its size is so small? Thank you

gciscol_0-1680053732334.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Only the used portion of the VM's virtual disk is exported. This suggests that the virtual disk of your VM only contains approximately 10GB of data. No point backing up the empty disk space right?

You can confirm this by going into the guest and seeing roughly how much space it thinks has been used. On a Windows VM, properties on the drive and seeing what that says about "Used Space", or "df -h" from the CLI of a Linux VM. It should closely match the size of the file in the export.

0 Kudos
connecttoduy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

You can go to tab summary of VMs for checking about capacity vm is used.

connecttoduy_1-1680074250775.png

Regards,

Duy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
alt_n
Contributor
Contributor

it looks like you are using ESXi client to export VM.

There should be two files ticked by default .ovf and .mf files but most VM data is stored in vmdk files so you should tick the vmdk files before exporting the VM.

I used to backup my VM in this way but now I use another solution Vinchin Backup & Recovery for that.

0 Kudos
connecttoduy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Yes, I see. But follow your capture I see we have 2 file is downloaded, in your picture is file 1 - may be small & how file 2 ?

By the way, if you have issue you can try OVF Tool for try again.

Regards,

Duy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos