VMware Cloud Community
Project951
Contributor
Contributor

Stuck Local ESXi Shell Session....

I was in the local shell and issued a command to install a VIB.  I must have mistyped something and now I just have a "> _" prompt with a blinking cursor.  I've tried to issue an exit command, but it does nothing.  It just returns the same ">_" blinking cursor.  How do I go about ending this local shell session, without rebooting the host?

Thanks!

6 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

local shell, you mean from the host directly, have you tried turning on ssh and seeing if you can connect that way. If so you might be able to get away with services.sh restart, which restart most of the services.

VMware Knowledge Base .

if that doesn't work you need to restart the host.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try to go back to the DCUI with Alt + F2, (Or try more F's because i do not remember exactly) login as root and disable the ESXi Shell, then enable it again and try.

0 Kudos
Project951
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah...the console on the host directly.  I'm able to SSH to the host just fine, I got the VIB installed successfully that way, while the local console was still out to lunch.  I tried disabling/re-enabling the shell, and also tried to adjust the idle timeout values, but none of them have worked to terminate the session...

Is it safe to do a services.sh restart without affecting the VMs on the host?  Looks like we will need to reboot the host anyway in the near future to perform firmware updates, so I may just wait until then.

I didn't know if there was a special key sequence or command to run at the > prompt to make it halt whatever it is trying to do...

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes you can do a service.sh restart and it will not affect your Virtual Machines.

Anyway, please look at this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39896739/stuck-on-prompt-in-terminal-after-bad-bash-command-ubun...

This is a behaviour that also happens in Linux Distributions.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

you entered a command that was incomplete - it now waits that you close a quote or end a loop ...

Look at the command you entered and finish the unclosed expression. That can be just a " or a ' or a done or ... -

Norpan70
Contributor
Contributor

This is the right answer in my book. Often it is due to " ' " and "enter" is to close and just hit the " ' " again got me back. Thanks! 

0 Kudos