VMware Cloud Community
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Shutting down VMware cluster with HA only

Hi,

We normally shut down all VMs before shutting down the host and shutdown both physical hosts.

However, when turning everything on VMware showed a message that the HA was insufficient.

We did HA dpeloy again and the error disappeared.

When we tried to start the VMs, it showed another error informing the host of a problem as it was off.

We disconnected and reconnected the host and managed to connect the VMs.

what is the correct procedure for shutting down clustered hosts to prevent VMs from migrating from host?

Should we put it into maintenance before shutting everything down or even restarting when a host is part of a cluster?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I would recommend every time you do something in a planned way, Disable host monitoring for HA. So you can work without any kind of warnings or being afraid of HA event triggering and warnings.

Also, if your resources are insufficient or your cluster is heavy loaded, disable admission control in your maintenance window.

Once you finish, enable everything again.

Cheers

N

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Adjust your Admission Control setting or just ignore the error message.  If you havent disable it you will get HA related error when running to few Hosts in the cluster which is for sure the case performing a complete shutdown.

Regards,
Joerg

NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I would recommend every time you do something in a planned way, Disable host monitoring for HA. So you can work without any kind of warnings or being afraid of HA event triggering and warnings.

Also, if your resources are insufficient or your cluster is heavy loaded, disable admission control in your maintenance window.

Once you finish, enable everything again.

Cheers

N

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi IRIX201110141 NicolasAlauzet,

a friend said that all the errors that I saw that occurred was because I didn't define it as maintenance. I was confused, is it ?!

Does the admission control exist in version vsphere 5.5?

Disable HA monitoring do you mean disable HA?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It doesnt matter if you use MM or not. If the resources drops under a certain value it will raise this error.

vSphere HA contains several different "modules". Host HA is one (the most use one) of these.

Regards,
Joerg