VMware Cloud Community
amolnjadhav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nested vSphere 6.5 Lab setup

Hi Experts,

Issue : Unable to ping to the gateway or any other vm in same vlan from nested 6.5 U1 ESX host

I have installed nested environment multiple times but i don't know some how i am not setup vSphere 6.5 nested environment.

==========================================

Hardware : HP 380 Gen9 (intel VT enabled)

BareMetal OS : 6.5 U1

Nested OS : 6.5 U1

CPU feature turned ON : “Expose hardware assisted virtualization to the guest OS”.

vSwitch/PortGroup : Promiscuice and forged transmit is enabled at VSS/PG level.

vNIC : vmxnet3

vCPU : 2

Memory : 16GB

I have VMs in VLAN 100 : DNS/NTP/Windows/nested ESX6.5U1... all other VMS are able to ping to each other except ESX 6.5 host...

Note : I have not cloned ESX VM.

please let me know if i missing any step.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Regards Amol Jadhav VCP NSXT | VCP NSXV | VCIX6-NV | VCAP-DCA | CCNA | CCNP - BSCI
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How are your port groups in the virtual ESXi setup?  Are you applying VLAN tags to them are you leaving it in "native" mode (no VLAN ID defined)?  If you want your virtual ESXi to do the tagging, then you need to attach it to a port group on the physical ESXi host which has VLAN type = VLAN Trunking, and select the VLAN range to trunk to the guest.  The following screenshot shows this setup for a port group on the physical ESXi host.

pastedImage_0.png

This should pass through all traffic without modifying tags and allow your virtual ESXi host to apply tags.  You then need to assign a nic from your virtual ESXi VM to this VLAN trunking port as an uplink to a vSwitch and set your VLAN on that port group within the virtual ESXi environment.

If you go "native" you just attach the nic on the virtual ESXi to a pre-existing VLAN-backed port group on your physical ESXi host.  Don't apply any VLAN ID to the port group on the virtual ESXi host.  But the draw back is that the uplink can only be used for communication on that single VLAN, so you would have to create a separate vSwitch for each different port group you want to have access.

Easiest setup is to leave it in native mode and simply assign multiple NICs for each VLAN, but is not flexible and doesn't expose the full capability and purpose of ESXi.

Does either of these methods match how you have your networking configured?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How are your port groups in the virtual ESXi setup?  Are you applying VLAN tags to them are you leaving it in "native" mode (no VLAN ID defined)?  If you want your virtual ESXi to do the tagging, then you need to attach it to a port group on the physical ESXi host which has VLAN type = VLAN Trunking, and select the VLAN range to trunk to the guest.  The following screenshot shows this setup for a port group on the physical ESXi host.

pastedImage_0.png

This should pass through all traffic without modifying tags and allow your virtual ESXi host to apply tags.  You then need to assign a nic from your virtual ESXi VM to this VLAN trunking port as an uplink to a vSwitch and set your VLAN on that port group within the virtual ESXi environment.

If you go "native" you just attach the nic on the virtual ESXi to a pre-existing VLAN-backed port group on your physical ESXi host.  Don't apply any VLAN ID to the port group on the virtual ESXi host.  But the draw back is that the uplink can only be used for communication on that single VLAN, so you would have to create a separate vSwitch for each different port group you want to have access.

Easiest setup is to leave it in native mode and simply assign multiple NICs for each VLAN, but is not flexible and doesn't expose the full capability and purpose of ESXi.

Does either of these methods match how you have your networking configured?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're trying to roll your own nested ESXi appliance by installing manually, I'd strongly recommend you use William Lam's pre-built appliance that has all the necessary optimizations in place.

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2017/05/updated-nested-esxi-6-0u3-6-5d-virtual-appliances.html

Mparayil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had a similar issue in nested infrastructure. later I was able to fix it by changing the Port group to Promiscuous mode on were the Virtual ESXi NIC is connected port group try it.