VMware Cloud Community
glassin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mounting Equal Logic restore

I'm sure i can't be the only person with this setup.  I have two equal logics that sync every hour and i want to restore a volume down at my DR site to my vsphere.  This is the first im doing since MSP changed how it was down (previously the add in dell virtual storage manager).  I've taken a clone of a replica and created it as a volume, now how do i make that volume visible in vsphere?  where do i mount i guess?

any thought are appreciated.  i was hoping to work on this, this weekend for a test.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

As a long time EQL admin....

- You have bring the Volume online and asign a propper ACL

- You perform a Rescan on the swISCSI HBA

- As normal... the ESXi detects the "new" LUN as a snapshot because it contains a valid vmfs signature of a already mounted and existing Datastore

- You have to resignature and and it will become automaticly as a Datastore... the name will look like "snapshot_xxxxxx".

If you take a look into the vmkernel.log during the HBA

tail -f vmkernel.log | grep -i snap

you will see whats going on.

the esxcfg-volume -l  ( i always forget then esxcli syntax) will display the LUN.

If you use the Create Datastore option within the WebClient it will show the LUN and after you have select it will ask for writing a new signature.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
glassin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Forgive me i am a little in experienced with this.  In the equal logic i choose 'clone replica' and it creates as a volume alongside other volumes that i currently see as datastores in esxi.  But when i rescan in esxi i do not get the newly created vol (from replica) to show.

thoughts?

thanks for the assistance.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

But when i rescan in esxi i do not get the newly created vol (from replica) to show

Sure, because you create a copy of a Volume which includes a ESXi Datastore with a valid and known signature. So the host ignore that because it already use this signature for a existing Datastore.

So again

- After creating your Volume, check if you assign a propper ACL within the EQL GroupManager

- Rescan HBA on Host. Check Host->Configure->Storage Devices. It will be there.. but EQL Luns are all presented with 0 so hard to find Smiley Sad

- Select Create Datastore, select the LUN and take notice that now the Wizzard ask about to resignature the LUN

Otherwise please provide me the following from the ESXi Konsole(ssh)

esxcfg-rescan -A
esxcfg-volume -l

Regards

Joerg

glassin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the help.  What seems to be working at least at this time for me is.  "promote to volume" under inbound replica set then restore the most recent snapshot from under volumes.

after that rescan in esxi shows my restored volume.   Then i can create custom vm's pointing to the vmdk files and my servers are restored, just need new IP's

0 Kudos