VMware Cloud Community
AMJ96
Contributor
Contributor

How to Migrate running or turned off VM from vsphere 6.5 to vsphere 6.7

i want to move Virtual machine from one vsphere client version 6.5 to another vsphere client version 6.7 connected with different shared storage.

need solution in both cases for running VM without downtime and for turned off VM.

without using any third party tool.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

CIao 

You can start by looking at this documentation.

Cross vCenter Migration and Clone requirements in VMware vSphere 6.x and later (2106952)

from what I understand you want to migrate VMs from a vSphere 6.5 infrastructure to a vSphere 6.7 infrastructure.
There are some aspects to check (for example if the SSO is common to the two vcenters or not).
I recommend you to use the powercli to do the migration which also allows the migration between vCenters not managed by the same SSO.

On the internet, you can find various scripts to do the migration
https://vm.knutsson.it/2017/01/cross-sso-and-vcenter-vmotion-using-powercli/
Of course, I recommend that you try with a test VM initially

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Expect a moderator to move your thread now that I've reported it, since this isn't about a vSphere security advisory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos