VMware Cloud Community
aaaaaaaaaasssss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Export VM ESXI 6.7 erro

Hello, I'm use Dell R610 2xE5620 48GB, I am trying to export vm, but from network failure, in version 6.5 was working normal, someone with the same problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jontjioe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm that after upgrading from ESXi 6.5 U2 to ESXi 6.7 EP3, I have the same issue and I am not unable to export a VM from the vSphere web client. I get an error around 100MB using both Chrome and Firefox. Chrome shows that it was a network error while Firefox just shows that the download stopped after 100MB.

However, I can also confirm that I was able to install ovftool on Ubuntu and export to an .ova using ovftool.

#Install ovftool on the platform of your choice

https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/ovf/

#Syntax For the command. You will notice that I am exporting thin-provisioned .vmdk files

ovftool -dm=thin "vi://<ESXi IP>/<VM name>" <name of ova file to create>.ova

For username, type root and press enter.

For password, type the password and press enter.

#Example

ovftool -dm=thin "vi://192.168.93.142/template_2016" template_2016.ova

When I tried importing this via the GUI, I noticed that at the final window of the Create/Register VM wizard, I would see an error that states  "A required disk image is missing." It did allow me to click Finish and the import would work without any issues. However, I did not want the error so I found that it was b/c the .ovf file contains references to the nvram file. The steps below walk you through extracting the .ova file, editing the .ovf file by removing any lines that say "nvram", and then deleting the files you do not need.

#You can untar the contents of the .ova file

tar -xvf template_2016.ova

rm *.mf

rm *.nvram

vi template_2016.ovf

/nvram

Delete the line by pressing dd

Press n to go to the next result

Press :wq to save the file and quit

Once you have tested importing the .ovf and .vmdk files, delete the ova file

Now you can import your VM the normal way using the Create/Register VM wizard. You will select the .ovf and all .vmdk files instead of an .ova file.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You really need to provide more information in this including either logs or screenshots that illustrates our problem or else we have no idea what you're encountering.

0 Kudos
aaaaaaaaaasssss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

the download starts, but after 100mb it fails

Seleção_002.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

And how large is the VM you're attempting to export as OVF?

0 Kudos
aaaaaaaaaasssss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

one of them i exported from esxi 6.5 gave 780mb, When exporting to ovf it compresses the size, there is nothing too much, just the operating system.Seleção_003.pngSeleção_004.png

0 Kudos
IT_pilot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Maybe the reason is trivial and you do not have space on your computer's disk?

http://it-pilot.ru
0 Kudos
aaaaaaaaaasssss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes

Seleção_005.png 583GB

0 Kudos
ASEIC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

same issue here since installing ESXi 6.7 and trying to export ovf using the Web User Interface.

Using chrome, receive network error after 100-300MB, ESXi reports the task completed.

Using firefox, no report of error but same thing the .vmdk is 100-300 and ESXi reports the task is complete which it can't be after 10 seconds.

Internet explorer, same as firefox.

0 Kudos
theunfnet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here.

Upgraded by CD boot and install keeping datastores. I have a 40gb vmdk VM and I need to export to ovf keeping interface macs and uuid, as I can do with ovftool on Win/Mac/Linux.

I've also tried to use vSphere converter and Fusion , both connecting to the server and downloading it.

On Fusion I received a message saying error reading the .nvram file after a long time which I understand that was downloading the large vmdk.

The VM is stopped when I'm trying to download or export.

0 Kudos
xZaro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

quite same experience here. It is fresh new 6.7 installation. everything works fine so far, except export part.

When i am trying to export VM , I do receive ovf file normally and during vmdk i get error. Behaviour is one and the same in chrome, IE and Edge.

Any help would be appreciated .

regards.

Update: PowerCLI command "Get-VM -Name "*****" | Export-VApp -Destination "D:\_temp\" -Format Ova" works  as expected.

0 Kudos
AniaK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi
I have the same problem.
Only Opera pointed out that there was a network problem.
Perhaps something is wrong with the VMWare bridge settings. Such are my dreams.
I will give it a rest today. I will look for tomorrow.

0 Kudos
AniaK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, this is probably not it.
I can easily copy files from DATASTORE.

Export functionality breaks download files to about 80MB.

0 Kudos
AniaK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found such an entry:

"It looks like this is a known issue. Based on the referenced thread, exporting large VM's via the embedded host client has some bugs and a reliable work around is to use the OVF Tool which is available for Windows, Linux (yeah!) and Mac.

You can also connect to the ESXi Host via VMware Workstation and then select the VM, and in the menu select VM > Manage > Download. It will download as OVF template."

0 Kudos
vmguy1964
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can use the OVFtool to export VM's, however be aware that you need at least version 4.3.

0 Kudos
jontjioe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm that after upgrading from ESXi 6.5 U2 to ESXi 6.7 EP3, I have the same issue and I am not unable to export a VM from the vSphere web client. I get an error around 100MB using both Chrome and Firefox. Chrome shows that it was a network error while Firefox just shows that the download stopped after 100MB.

However, I can also confirm that I was able to install ovftool on Ubuntu and export to an .ova using ovftool.

#Install ovftool on the platform of your choice

https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/ovf/

#Syntax For the command. You will notice that I am exporting thin-provisioned .vmdk files

ovftool -dm=thin "vi://<ESXi IP>/<VM name>" <name of ova file to create>.ova

For username, type root and press enter.

For password, type the password and press enter.

#Example

ovftool -dm=thin "vi://192.168.93.142/template_2016" template_2016.ova

When I tried importing this via the GUI, I noticed that at the final window of the Create/Register VM wizard, I would see an error that states  "A required disk image is missing." It did allow me to click Finish and the import would work without any issues. However, I did not want the error so I found that it was b/c the .ovf file contains references to the nvram file. The steps below walk you through extracting the .ova file, editing the .ovf file by removing any lines that say "nvram", and then deleting the files you do not need.

#You can untar the contents of the .ova file

tar -xvf template_2016.ova

rm *.mf

rm *.nvram

vi template_2016.ovf

/nvram

Press n to go to the next result

Press :wq to save the file and quit

Once you have tested importing the .ovf and .vmdk files, delete the ova file

Now you can import your VM the normal way using the Create/Register VM wizard. You will select the .ovf and all .vmdk files instead of an .ova file.

mboyaci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the exact same problem but when I tried Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 it was able to download the 43GB for my vm.

0 Kudos
TheUnF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I install VMware-ovftool-4.3.0-13981069-lin.x86_64.bundle on ESXi 6.7 host ?

0 Kudos
aconverse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to get it to work using IE (running it on server 2012 r2) and allowing pop-ups. 

0 Kudos
JinuV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OVF and OVA Limitations for the VMware Host Client

Refer the below Vmware KB

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.html.hostclient.doc/GUID-96CFEA28-D...

0 Kudos