VMware Cloud Community
gibernasconi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cpu Setup with free product key

Good evening, I wanted this information: I registered a free license of vmware exsi and I wanted to understand one thing:

Limitations

• No support
  • Free ESXi cannot be added to a vCenter Server
  • 2 physical CPUs
  • Unlimited cores per CPU
  • Unlimited physical Memory
  • max. 8 vCPU per VM

Can I use a setup in a single VM to take advantage of the CPU below in my possession in a single VM?

Xeon-S 4208 8-Core

Thx in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Why do you want to build a single VM with that many vCPUs?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimSheppard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question but if your physical host has 8 physical cores then the maximum number of virtual cores you can have in any single VM that you want to run on that host is 8.

You could have more VMs each with a maximum of 8 virtual cores but each core would then only get a fraction of the physical processors time.

gibernasconi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If i set 1 socket with 8 core, the vm use 8 physical core with HT (16 logicaL core in Windows server?) Thx

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your CPU has hyperthreading which means it could technically support a VM with up to 16 vCPUs, but your VM can only have 8.

You could always buy a VMUG Advantage subscription which will give you a full 12-month license for personal use, that won’t have the limitation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Why do you want to build a single VM with that many vCPUs?

0 Kudos