VMware Cloud Community
EngicamUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Apply updates on ESXi with vSphere

Hi, 

I would apply the Updates->Baselines on my ESXi machine where vSphere is running.

These updates is applied by vSphere but I need to put the ESXi machine in maintenance mode so I need to turn off the vSphere machine.

How can I solve this situation?

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is the only ESXi node in your setup?

If you have any other then update other nodes first and migrate the vSphere VM to the other node and then update the one on which your vSphere is currently ruuning.

It's very hard to update the ESXi node through vSphere if vSphere is running on the same host.

Regards,

Sachchidanand

View solution in original post

7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's unfortunately no way that I know of to remediate a host without vCenter Server.
Unless you have an option to vMotion/migrate the vCSA, you may need to apply patches manually.

André

filipe_dias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have the same situation here.

Tags (1)
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is the only ESXi node in your setup?

If you have any other then update other nodes first and migrate the vSphere VM to the other node and then update the one on which your vSphere is currently ruuning.

It's very hard to update the ESXi node through vSphere if vSphere is running on the same host.

Regards,

Sachchidanand

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you only have one single ESXi Hosts than with VUM you cant solve that chicken and egg problem.  You have to apply the patches from commandline (apply a update zip or fetch downloads from vmware.com (similar to WSUS)) or when booting and performing an update/installation with the help of an ISO.

In such constellation VUM will only tell you if youre complient or whats missing but cant remidiate.

Regards,
Joerg

EngicamUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I'll try

bjonson974
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Use vSphere Update Manager (VUM). First, migrate or power off VMs. Then, put ESXi in maintenance mode. Apply updates via VUM. Once updates are installed, exit maintenance mode and power on your VMs.

Regards
Ben Jonson
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi Ben,

you should face by a challange when shuting down the VCSA to place the Host into MM because after these Steps LCM(formaly known as VUM) isnt avaible any more.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos