VMware Cloud Community
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Affinity configuration in vsphere (ESXi) 5.5

Hi,

we have a vsphere 5.5 u2 cluster.

Both hosts are overloaded and we want to know if there is any configuration that we can define that in case one node becomes unavailable, only a few VMs remain connected, either on one node or the other.

We know that the correct thing is that in a scenario with HA cluster, it is necessary that one of the nodes has the capacity to maintain all machines, but this is not the reality of many small environments.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

The solution is HA and per-VM overrides. If you can't afford that you don't get those features. Not to mention this environment is long out of support anyway. Also, saying "VMware" when referring to a product like vSphere is not correct. VMware is the name of a company; vSphere is the name of a product. Don't confuse the two.

0 Kudos
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi daphnissov,

grateful for your time.

I adjusted the subject, but inside I quote that it is vshpere. Smiley Happy But it's alright.

As for the version we are aware of, in fact many end users know this but take the risk of knowing that VMware products (now to mention talking about VMware) are very robust, but of course problems always exist.

In this case we already have HA, but it cannot be used because when the VMs are moved, there will not be enough resources on one of the nodes.

In this version of vSphere 5.5 is there a per-VM override feature? I only found options to turn it on and off.

I am used to configuring in the HA configurations of newer versions.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What you want in this case is probably HA Overrides. I don't know if this feature existed in 5.5. That's another problem with staying on ancient versions: you don't get modern features or support for modern guest OSes. It sounds like your problem, to begin with, is that you don't have adequate capacity in that cluster. Only so many ways around a problem without spending money Smiley Happy

0 Kudos