Jump to solution

Advise for VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7

Hello Everybody,

I am new on VMWare and got a PC which has-

Intel Core i7 8th gen processor,

now 16GB DDR4 RAM (within 2 months it will have 32GB),

2TB HDD (7200RPM)

And a Intel 32 GB Optane Memory 

Now planning to install VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7 on the above PC. I need to know -

1. Will that Intel 32 GB Optane Memory work on VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7 platform properly?

2. While I download the VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7, there is a license key for it. How long this key is valid for the VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7?

3. If the given license is expired then will I capable of creating VMs and work on that VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7?

Thanks in Advance

@Riyad

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Only vSAN will support Optane memory, which you won't have. As André said, you need appropriate hardware to run ESXi. Most desktops/laptops will not run it at all or completely. Your best bet is to buy used server hardware or search blogs for users with hardware known to run ESXi successfully.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You may get ESXi 6.7 to work on your PC, but since this is not a supported hardware, no one can really tell you whether all features will work as expected.

The free Hypervisor doesn't expire.

Note: I'm not sure whether the free Hypervisor edition fully supports Optane memory (you'd need to check). Anyway, once installed, ESXi will work in evaluation mode for 60 days without the need to assign a license, so you can evaluate all of its features.

André

redhot4400
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello a.p.

Thanks for your so rapid reply.

Ok then I have to know or look for the real and correct answer for Intel Optane Memory matter whether it will work on Advise for VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7 or Not?

After 60 days which features will be available on VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7 ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Only vSAN will support Optane memory, which you won't have. As André said, you need appropriate hardware to run ESXi. Most desktops/laptops will not run it at all or completely. Your best bet is to buy used server hardware or search blogs for users with hardware known to run ESXi successfully.

redhot4400
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hello daphnissov

Thanks for your reply. as I mention above the PC configuration, in that I am planning to install VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7 for personal study and work on Esxi atmosphere. As I am using HDD(7200 RPM) I thought with a Intel Optane memory it will be better. But may be in near future I will try to buy a server for Esxi.

I like to know -

After the 60 days will I able to open those VMs in my VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7?

Will VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7 will be accessible after evolution period?

Thanks in Advance

redhot4400

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Once the 60 days expire, you'll have to apply a license. This can be either a free Hypervisor license, or a paid one, depending on the features in use on the hosts, as well as in the VM's settings. (see https://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere.html​). In addition to what you find on the mentioned link, the free Hypervisor license provides everything that's required to run virtual machines, but is limited to 8 vCPUs per VM, and has a restricted API access (API basically limited to read-only operations), which will prevent from using most 3rd party applications like backup tools, ...

André.

redhot4400
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hello a.p.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I understand.

redhot4400

0 Kudos