VMware Cloud Community
Gaprofittit
Contributor
Contributor

vcloud director expiration times

Hi All,

First off I am very new to Vcloud Director and had some question, it's my understanding when a user request a build from a VCD
they have access to you can set expiration policies for what they request.  I had a few questions around this.

• What are these parameters for expiration dates, day, month, years.
  • What happens when the expiration date expires?
  • Can you force an expiration date or limit the choices?
  • Is the user emailed that the build is going to expire? If so can they renew

We have a very large development environment with multiple vendors, it's a nightmare to keep
it up what is no longer in use, they don't tell us, etc.  I'd like to push back and
was wondering if vcloud could assist in managing this.  I'm thinking if they
don't renew or use the resources they are deleted.

Thanks

Greg

0 Kudos
1 Reply
cfor
Expert
Expert

Greg,

The lease settings in VCD do seem a little odd to me, but here is what it seems to do (at least it did in v1.0)

Two different lease:

Running and Storage

each can be set from small time -> whatever the MAX settings time for the Org is (default I think is 14 or 30 days)

When a vApp is started the "Running Lease" starts - when time is up shuts down the vApp

Now the "Storage" lease starts...

When the storage lease ends the item will be either moved to Expired Folder, or deleted (based on your system settings).

Now for one of the odd things... If you Stop a vApp and Start it again - the lease starts over.  (This really drvies us nuts as we want users to get an item for 2 weeks - not however long they want to)

Emails do not go out - (if they are suppose to .. they do not for us)

Hope this helps some.  We have had to start mvoing to using the API to control lease type items ourself for some needs.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos